View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Teaching About Native Americans 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I liked the fact that people now seem to be paying more attention to educating people about Native Americans from not just a savage historical point, but from a now point of view. These methods listed in the Teacher Talk article are really good and make a lot of sense. There were some things that made me think about how I learned about the "Indians", and made me think about how I would feel now if roles were changed and the song became "one little, two little, three little white kids...". It sounds funny, but what if you were the student learning this song. There were just some ideas in the article that I hadn't never thought about. What did you all think about the article?

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:38 pm
All-star
All-star

As I said in another post, I think Native American cultures are the most stereotyped groups in America. We all have an image of what an "Indian" should look like. We have the media to thank for this. I can't tell you how many movies I have seen that portray Native Americans as "savages" who are covered in war paint and dance around fires. TODAY I saw a commerical on MTV that had Native Americans dressed in feathers dancing around in a circle. It proves that our society does not care that Native Americans are being falsely portrayed. Seeing these images makes me very mad because I think they are very disrespectful.

I think as future educators, we need to understand that these images are not an accurate portrayal of Native Americans. From the Cherokee to the Eskimos, all Native American peoples are different, and we need to help our students realize that, or else the people in our society will continue to remain ignorant.

Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:19 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The hardest thing do is to unlearn what you have been taught. As a child we seem to believe whatever we are told, without questioning. As we grow older, we learn that it becomes are responsibility to question what we are being taught. Some of the post now shows that we are stepping up to the plate so to speak, and questioning what we have been taught. However, we must understand that when Columbus, American’s lovely hero, “found this new world,â€

Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]