View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
All-star
All-star

I realized that I titled my last post sexuality and gender, but I failed to address gender. I too find it curious that it is accepted for women to wear both female and male attire, yet men are socially restricted to "traditional" male garments. Possibly this reflects the fact that women have and continue to branch into the "world of man" in reference to acquiring jobs traditionally assigned to men. However, men are hesitant to branch into the world of women. In my opinion, fewer men occupy positions such as nurses, English teachers, daycare providers, cosmetology, ect. Thus making it more difficult for them to transition into other realms such as female attire, behavior, ect. I admit that when I see a man wearing a skirt, I am a little bit uncomfortable with this. Why? Because it is not common (socially acceptable). This however, also in some cases applies to women. It is uncommon for women to wear a tie or wear a tux to a formal event. These two examples are seen as a threat to gender separation/ roles. This is a discussion that could go on forever and I am sure will be continued in class.

"That's what a class is, a swarm. And you're a warrior teacher...ready to face the swarm"
- Frank McCourt

Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:48 pm
All-star
All-star

I can remember the first time I saw a man in a skirt, and believe it or not, it was Kevin from the Backstreet Boys during a TV concert. At the time I was really shocked and confused because I couldn't understand why he was wearing a skirt. It really bothered me, and still does when I think about it. Maybe it shouldn't bother me, but I cannot dismiss the fact that I am a part of a society that doesn't easily accept men who wear "women's" clothing.

I'm trying to open my mind about these types of issues and this class is helping me to do that. I hope that one day I can look back at this moment and accept it as ok. I'm not to that point yet, but I think I am on my way to getting there.

If you are intested in seeing one of the pictures of Kevin, here is a web site: http://www.geocities.com/aquaria19/kevskirt.html

Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What brothers me is the fact that you were watching the backstreet boys. (But that is a whole different issue)

One of the reasons that we do not see men branching out into traditionally women jobs, is one of the reasons that Hayley mentioned, it is not socially accepted. It like the discussion we had Tuesday about guys being allowed to change diapers at the child development center. When people imagine a child molester the picture that comes into their mind is one of a perverted man. These reasoning are just plain stupid. I am willing to bet that there are some men who have better “maternalâ€

Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:16 am
All-star
All-star

Hey now Clint, I was like 11 when I liked the Backstreet Boys, haha.

Anyways, I also found our conversation about the daycare center very interesting. Even though I know it's wrong, I don't think I would want male workers to change my children's diapers. When I have children and if I have a girl, I might not feel comfortable with a male daycare worker I don't know very well changing my daughter's diaper. At the same point, I wouldn't feel comfortable with an unfamiliar female worker doing the same thing. If I send my children to a daycare (I may decide to take a couple of years off from work to be a stay at home mom), I will make sure that I know the daycare staff very well before I leave my children with them.

It's sad, but we do live in a sometimes evil world. We hear about people all the time, male and female, doing horrible things to children. That's why when I become a mother, I will go to great lengths to make sure my children are safe at whatever daycare center they go to.

Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]