View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Difference between teachings 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is something that I thought about in another class, but I wondered if anyone else had ever thought about this. I often have professors that are showing and wanting us to use methods of teaching that are foreign to me because it was not how I was taught in school. I think that I learned just fine, but they tell us these other ways are better... and they do look to be better ways of teaching, but what kind of difference do you think it would make between the ways of teaching? How does the way you guys were taught compare to the way we are instructed to teach in our classes?

Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:19 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is a very interesting topic Misty! I am often struck with confusion on this topic as well because I feel that I learned a lot in my education too. Then again it wasn't in all of my classes. I am somewhat for and against these new methods. I think the most important thing to remember is that our professors are simply giving us a variety of "food for thought" for when we go in the classroom, that way we are not boring the students with the same methods that every other teacher is using. First and foremost we have to get a feel for who our students are as to what methods we can use in the classroom. But, I definitely agree with you too in that I think I benefitted just as much from the typical methods of teaching as I did the creative ones. The topic you are teaching also has a huge impact on which method you use. For some topics there are only so many ways to teach it!

Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:34 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As we all make the transition from students to teachers, I hate to say it but it no longer matters which way we learn the best. The emphasize it now placed on the students. We have to learn to ask ourselves which way do my student’s best learn, and go that way. But be comfortable with many different ways because no two classes are the same so the way you have to approach the two will change.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:49 am
All-star
All-star

I think it's important to at least consider and experiment with new styles of teaching. The reason most of us learned well from "older" methods of teaching probably has somewhat to do with the fact that we might have been a little more motivated than the average student and strove to do well so we could get into college. And in particular, maybe some of us had already thought about becoming teachers so naturally we responded well to teachers and certain styles. That doesn't explain everything I know, but also it's important to remember that students these days are quite different from us. What might have significantly affected us, might not reach out to another generation. I think we need to give new methods of teaching at least a chance and work to find ones that effectively work with students today.

Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:17 pm
All-star
All-star

I, too, agree that it is important to consider the new methods that we are learning to have a variety of teaching methods. Also, many times when I have been sitting in my methods classes I have often thought how I wish someone would've used some of those methods with me and would've taken more creative and individual approaches to my education.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:42 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am pretty much echoing what everyone else has stated about the variety of methods we are presented with in our education classes. I however, decided to become a teacher because I couldn't stand going to school. I disliked the ideas presented in most of my classes, and I really never found myself entirely engaged in the material. So the way I approach this plethora of information and philosophies I am presented with is by looking at it through which ones will fit my goals as a future teacher. Just as we are all different in our styles as a learner, we are to be very different in the styles we adopt as a teacher. I just think it is important to be presented with all of these options because not all of our students are going respond to the same strategies and approaches we may utilize, and due to that, we need to have alternatives to best help our students. It will probably takes years for me to learn what works best for me as a teacher as well as my students, and just when I think I have gotten it down, I will have a whole new classroom full of faces that may need something entirely different. So I guess we adapt to what best serves the students.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:13 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that we are learning different methods of teaching so that we are better able to accomodate the different learning styles that children are going to bring into the classroom. In one of my math classes I have learned about 4 different methods of adding, subtracting, dividing, multiplying. I know that might sound easy but there were methods that I was not familiar with and they were hard for me to grasp. However, there were people in my class who had lightbulbs turn on in their mind because for the first time they understood why adding, subracting, etc. worked the way it did. For me it didnt make sense but for others it did. And interestingly to me, a lot of students had learned these odd methods in school. I think that as teachers we are going to encounter this so it is important to be prepared and flexible in our methods of teaching.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]