View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Silent Voice Behind Hate Crimes 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't know how it happened that I posted it as a guest, but that was me.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:50 am
All-star
All-star

Ann, thank you so much for sharing your story. Although I cannot personally relate to your experience, I feel that it is important for us as human beings to open our hearts to one another. We are all different in one way or another, but those differences make us special. It has always been very difficult for me to understand hate crimes, but I think that is because I was raised in a home where my parents taught me to respect all people from all walks of life. I cringe at the thought of your experience and the challenges you are still facing because of it, but we need to hear and listen to your story and other stories like yours. As future educators, we will have students who will be victims of hate crimes and we may even become victims ourselves. We live in a cruel world, but as teachers we have the ability to make the world a little less cruel for our students. We can be there for them and help them deal with these crimes. Ann, thank you for having the courage to share your story with us. I truly believe that by sharing your experience with others, you may help someone else with experiences simliar to yours find the same strength and courage.

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:12 am
All-star
All-star

Ann, I hope that you will continue to share your story with others because awareness is important to help combat hate crimes like this. It is a sad day whenever I hear of such blatant and cruel acts of hate like what you have experienced. I am sure that the woman who did this to you is still dealing with her own anger and the sad thing is that she will more then likely never let go. This woman is scared of what she does not understand and will never take the time to understand. This is the case in many hate crimes. It is fear of difference and change that manifests into hatred. Throughout history, people have been persecuted and killed for disrupting the comfort zones of others. It is sad that some people feel the need to resort to this kind of behavior, but it is out of fear and ignorance that they do so. I hope that someday people will learn to accept and embrace diversity. Your story is a glimpse into a world that many people are not aware of or choose to ignore, so once again, I encourage you to continue to share it and through that maybe you will make a difference and heal.

"That's what a class is, a swarm. And you're a warrior teacher...ready to face the swarm"
- Frank McCourt

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:22 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm so glad you shared that story with us Ann. I almost started a thread about a similar situation but concerning my two best friends who are homosexual a little while ago (actually, I can think of several situations). I've loved those two boys literally since the day I met them my first week in high school and we remain as close as ever these days. I would almost argue that it hurts just as much to watch people you love most suffer and be on the receiving end of hate crimes. But Ann's personal story really got to me and I've been thinking about it for days. Personally, I don't think there's anything in the world more aggravating than hearing about people such as Ann's friend's mom. I just can't believe that some people think the right to hurt others is justified. Like Hayley said, I hope stories like Ann's as well as others get passed along and hit some people hard because it is all part of the process of eliminating such horrible occurances. And it's so important to do what we can to stand up and act out when we see things happening around us that hurt others.

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:28 pm
All-star
All-star

Ann, I am in disbelief that this happened. I know that I hear these things in the media all the time, but it somehow hits me differently knowing that it is somone sitting in my class. I'm not even sure how to respond to this - I think I need more time just to digest that something so terrible could happen to somone over ignorance. But thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:38 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Thank you all so much for taking the time to read the post...I know it is really long. Your words are also greatly appreciated, and if any one has a question, I am a very open person, so feel free to ask. Don't worry, I am not easily offended either. Just thought I would let all of you know, I'm here.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:52 am
All-star
All-star

Wow! I have heard of hate crimes on TV and in the paper but have never actually heard of it happening to someone that I actually know of have a class with. Reading your story makes me really upset at first and then it turns to anger, which is exactly what probably caused the whole incident. What a cliché. I really think that I am in shock right now to hear about something like that. A family member really close to me is also homosexual and he has never experienced any physical hate crimes but I see the verbal abuse that he faces time and time again and it breaks my heart. It tears me up inside thinking that something like this could happen to him one day just because of his sexual orientation.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Ann, thank you so much for sharing your story. I was in absolute disbelief throughout reading it. I always knew it was out there but I never had anyone close to me ever have anything like this happen. I can't believe the cruelty of some people. I think you made a great point when you said that you respect people's religous and personal beliefs but that they should think before they act in a hateful way because of them. For you to still have such compassion towards someone who did that to you is AMAZING!! Thanks again.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]