View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Schools Not Meeting The Goals... 
All-star
All-star

I feel that judging schools by test scores is not always the best answer. I feel that it is just the most “simple wayâ€

Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I can understand how Hillcrest feels in this situation. The high school that I went to has been threatened by the state in the past few weeks that if they don't raise their test scores that it will be shut down. The school already is looked down upon by the city and other high schools. Unfortunately 3 other High schools are in the same predicament. All 4 of these schools are low income, with more than 60% at each school on free lunch. We tried our best to succeed in school, but with the stereotype and the thought that none of us would succeed it was hard to get other schools and the school board to respect us. It seems that the only time that the school gets press is because of bad things, we have had some outstanding achievements as well, but unfortunately they are overlooked because of test scores and stereotypically bad kids. It hurts to think that the state would close down my high school but thankfully the parents have finally stepped in and practically refused to allow anything to happen. I agree that test scores can not completely show the potential of a school and its students. If the state would actually visit the school and see the students and their will to learn, maybe they would understand where the parents and the studentbody are coming from.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]