View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Good Grades = $$$ 
All-star
All-star

As I was reading "A Hope in the Unseen" I discovered that Cedric's high school paid students for making A's. Do you think this is ok? I'm just interested in hearing what everyone thinks.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Personally as a child I was awarded money if I made A's in school. But this was not by the school it was only by my grandfather who enjoyed spoiling me. I don't think that schools should award money for grades. There are other incentives for children to make good grades. I was fortunate enough to have parents and grandparents at home that were pushing me to succeed, but not all students have that, so with other incentives there are other ways for children to make good grades without awarding them money.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In tenth grade, I was given a hundered dollars for scoring a six on the state writing test. This wasn't by the school, nor was it by my parents, but by some woman. She promised anyone who made this score a hundred dollars, but I can honestly say that when I was taking the test I wasn't thinking about the money. So when it was all said and done, I was happy that i did well but the money wasn't the motivating factor that underlined my accomplishment. I do not think money is a fair reward, or incentive, but for whatever reason, it does encourage people to do well. I think that is the reason why people choose to use money, but if it was up to me, I would not use money.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:18 pm
All-star
All-star

I think rewarding students with money for grades is sort of a "last resort" measure that schools take, as it sounds in Cedric's case. Faculty and administrators had probably tried for years to motivate students in other ways prior to granting students several hundred dollars for straight A's. I was totally shocked when I read that in the book - so much money!! But then again, I realized that hardly any students met those standards. In Cedric's school, that system needed to be worked on. Even the money wasn't worth the pain and torture those deserving students earned because they were ridiculed by others or had it taken away from them. I don't think money is the answer. I just feel like whenever money becomes involved, the situation usually turns out sticky in some way or another.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:27 pm
All-star
All-star

I have never really agreed with the idea of giving children money for good grades. I feel that good grades should come from intrinsic motivation. If students are constantly given a reward such as money for good grades they will never develop that intrinsic motivation on their own. In Cedric’s case, I really don’t feel that giving money was a good idea. The ridicule that students got for receiving the $100 was ridiculous. The shame of knowing that the entire school knew that you were a “smart kidâ€

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Through middle school I was awarded with money for my grades. I got twenty dollars for every A I made -- which was a solid chunk of change. It was good motivation for me, though I could have used that same motivation in high school. I never cared about grades that much back in middle and high school, and the money was that extra incentive that pushed me. Some kids (like me) did ok in school without trying that hard. In middle school, the money made me try my best. There is nothing wrong with a little monetary bribe to get kids on the right academic track.

Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think money is exactly a bad idea to motivate some students, like Cedrics case, but overall - I'm not giving my kids money for doing well. Like Jennifer said, they should want to do well on their own, not for monetary gain. I would have loved to have gotten paid in school for good grades but it didn't happen and I still made good grades. I think if students don't care enough about their grades to do well on their own, a lot of the time, money isn't going to help either. I just remember growing up that every year when my siblings and I all got promoted to the next grade level, we got to go get icecream with the family or something - nothing big but just a congratulations. To me, the family time where maybe money is spent is more important than just handing over a dollar or however much because they did well on their report card.

Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was also given money for making good grades all through school, but it was never by the school. My family thought is was important for me to make good grades, so when I did I was rewarded with money. But if schools gave children money for making A's then they wouldn't be trying hard in school for the right reasons. Yes, grades would be better, but in my opinion they wouldn't really learn anything. They would get by for the grades, but they wouldn't retain anything that they had learned or try hard just to become a more educated person.[/u]

Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]