View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 North Carolina Education Lottery 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was just wondering what everyone thought about the new NC Education Lottery? I have not bought a ticket yet, but personally I think that it will be good for NC education. It has already provided numerous scholarships and grants for South Carolina schools. But I was just wondering what everyone thought??

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am a hopeless addict to the wonderful pleasure behind scratch cards. So for me the lottery meant that my friend Jan and I only have to drive down the street once a month, rather than the thirty minute drive to TN. As far as Education goes, I think that it will make a huge difference. Irregardless of the ethical issues behind the lottery, the education aspect is one that will definitley lend itself to improvement. What is everyone else's opinion of the ethical issues that revolve around the lottery.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:53 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm by far no expert on the new NC Lottery so I was curious as to why they dubbed it the "NC Education Lottery"? Does ALL of the money really go to North Carolina public schools? It seems a little too good to be true. I'm sure there's a downside to this. Does anyone not agree with this lottery? I'm anxious to hear that side of the story

Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:20 pm
All-star
All-star

I also know little about the North Carolina Lottery and how it is going to help our education system. I would really like to know more. I do not know if this is true or not but I heard by word of mouth that the South Carolina Lottery ended up not helping a great deal because the state simply cut the education budget the same amount that the lottery brought in, so the education system simply stayed the same. Is this false…does anybody know?

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I did a little research, here is the lottery site itself.
http://lottery.nc.gov/proceeds.htm

Education Support from the Lottery

Under the lottery legislation, 100 percent of the net proceeds of the North Carolina Education Lottery goes to education programs. The overall use of each lottery dollar as assigned in the lottery legislation is broken down below. The General Assembly estimates that $425 million will be produced by the Education Lottery for education purposes in the 2006-07 fiscal year.

The net proceeds of education flow as follows:

5 percent goes to the Education Lottery Reserve Fund to be used when lottery proceeds fall short of target. The Reserve Fund may not exceed $50 million.

The Commission shall distribute the remaining net revenue of the Education Lottery Fund in the following manner:

50 percent of the total remainder shall be used for reduction of class size ratios in early grades to 18 children per teacher and for prekindergarten programs for at-risk four year olds who would not otherwise be served in high-quality settings.

40 percent of the total remainder shall be used for school construction. Roughly 65 percent of this total shall be distributed to each county based on total school enrollment. The remaining 35 percent of this total shall be distributed to each county with average effective county property tax rates above the state average based on total school enrollment.

10 percent of the total remainder shall be used for college scholarships for students who qualify for the federal Pell Grant.

There is a lot more info on the website but it looks like the education system will get a lot of money from the lottery.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:31 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Responding mostly to Ann about the ethical issues behind the lottery, my background says it's a huge NO NO. My background growing up says that the lottery is completely wrong because it is gambling and all that stuff that supposedly goes agianst my religion. Personally, I don't have a problem with it and have actually talked my family into buying tickets "to support education" :lol: I believe that the older southern generation will have a problem with the lottery but most people will just have fun and scratch off a few cards here and there. Plus, if it really is helping out the education department, I'm going to be a HUGE advocate of buying lottery tickets - as long as it's not an addicting behavior - but fun and games is always great!!

Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I found it interesting that you brought that up, the religious aspect, and I started thinking about what you said about the older southern generation, and why do you think, or anyone else, that North Carolina was so against the lottery for so long? Since South Carolina, Tenn., Georgia, and so on, have all had the lottery for so long, and those states are filled with old southern traditional people, what sets North Carolina apart? Im not sure if I explained my thought process very well, but I just found it interesting that NC was so far behind all the other states.

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Ann and Amanda, I had never thought about that before. I find it funny that we were so far behind yet we are a part of the south as much as the other states. I only hope that this doesn't start to cause problems. I have not bought a ticket yet, but I have a friend that has bought a few and she tells me how addicting they are to buy. You get so excited when you think of what you could win and when you do win, you spend it again on possibly more. I wish that I had an explanation for why it took so long for NC to join in, but I just hope that our education system gets something effective out of it.

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:49 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

generally speaking, who buys lottery tickets? answer...the poor. what kind of logic tells you that we should take money out of the pocket of poor people (i.e. hungry children) to fund education?

Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:00 pm
All-star
All-star

Jennifer -- I have heard the same thing about the budget, I'm not sure which state. But I think I heard it happened in several states.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:26 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought that the lottery was a great idea. Gambling is fun, addictive, and crippling for some, but it is always going to exist, so we might as well take advantage and give the cash to education. Scholarships are good, new computers are good, more money for teachers = very good.

Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the education lottery is a great idea. I am so glad that it is now offered in North Carolina. At every gas station that I pass there is a big green sign outside that says "Play Here." Me and my boyfriend have bought 4 tickets, just for fun. And I guess I must be lucky because I won back a whole dollar. But I think it will be very beneficial.

Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]