View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Money and Scores 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Schools lose funds when they get low test scores. What are some ways they can get their scores up that does not cost money?

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:17 pm
All-star
All-star

More dedicated teachers and supportive parents are the first two things that come to my mind. I feel that the most important thing for students is dedicated teachers. Without dedicated teachers, money and financial benefits would mean little anyways.

Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that we need more dedicated teachers but, when a school system starts to lose funding they may not be able to afford the better teachers that are on the market. I don't know why anyone would think that cutting funding for a school is a good idea. I know the budget is tight but continually pouring more money into schools that perform well while taking money away from schools that perform poorly only exaggerates the problem. If a school is performing poorly, perhaps they are in dire need of more money to have reasonable facilities and to attract dedicated teachers. I'm not going into teaching to make money but if I were offered two jobs I would certainly take the one that pays more as long as their locations were comparable. I think cutting funding looks good on paper but it is quite the opposite in practice.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:25 am
All-star
All-star

I know! Something is definitely wrong when schools that need the most assistance get deprived of funding. I would like to see a massive media campaign promoting the value of teachers in molding the future of our country. Once public awareness is raised it will be easier to bring salaries and funding up to a more reasonable level and to recruit more candidates into the rewarding field of education. I don't know if that would ever happen but it's a possibility that I think would really help!

Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

A new president??? sorry, I couldn't help myself. It just seems that irregardless of the wonderful teachers out there and the parents that are active participants in the educational system, funding has been an issue. I think that the assessment tests need to be re-evaluated for the content and then maybe the performance may not be as high of an issue that it is today. why is it that funding gets pulled from those schools anyways?

Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Ann completely when she discusses that the assessment tests need to be re-evaluated for the content. I believe that these tests aren't always the best evaluation of how students are doing in a school. Plus, like the original question asks, what can you do when funding is pulled? Yes parents and good teachers are a great way to up test scores but without funding for the basics and sometimes (since they are obviously falling below "standard" test scores) extra things to help students out; it's just not possible.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]