View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 problems with our school of education 
All-star
All-star

I’m sure that everyone has heard this before, but it actually means something to me now. Next semester I will be a senior here at ASU and this is my FIRST semester that I have actually been in an actual classroom. I really don’t think that this is practical for students. I knew my major when I was a freshman and actually started taking classes for elementary education my freshman year yet this is the first semester that I have actually been in a classroom. What if I had just wasted all of my time since my freshman year and just now realized that this wasn’t the career path for me? Luckily, I enjoy being in the classroom but I know that this isn’t always the case for everyone. How do you think ASU can improve the school of education?

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:29 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My friend Cindy and I talked about this a lot last semester because her first experience in the classroom was the semester before her student teaching. This problem is one that hits the Secondary Ed. Majors especially hard, for many of them, their first day in the classroom is student teaching. For many people that I know, they do figure out that they have wasted the past four years of their education because they hated it! I would also like to know why it is this way at Appalachian if we have School of Education? I know, for example, that Elon College places their students in a classroom the very semester they take their first Education class. Are any of you worried that you will get in the classroom and realize that it is not at all what you expected?

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:11 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree, it is hard to figure out what you want to be if you have never had any hands on experience. I used to want to be a vet until i spent about 2 weeks at a vet and quickly realized i didn't want to deal with animal crap the rest of my life. Anyway, if I wouldn't have had the chance to be hands on early on, I may have spent a good portion of my life in vet school and then get into the field and realize I didn't like it. I wish there was a way for us to get into the classroom, like at Elon. If this was the case I'm sure that teachers would be even more comfortable their first year. It may also help in the numbers of teachers who decide to do another profession within their first 3 years.

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]