View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 teaching special needs 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As general education students we are not required to take classes on teaching students with special needs. However, we are expected to be able to teach those students with special needs when we become teachers. My question is wouldn’t it be smart to require all teachers to take at least one class on teaching students with special needs. I am finding out, there are a lot of laws that as teachers we are required to know and follow.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree 100%!!! It's kind of scary to think about the diversity that makes up a classroom. I think that some of the courses that we are required to take for education could definitely be replaced with something that goes more along the lines of teaching students with special needs. I was confused on why it was important for me to learn how to play the recorder or how to teach PE, etc. A course on something pretaining to Learning disabilities would be a lot more beneficial.

The Learner Diversity class that elementary education majors have to take in Block I covers some of this vaguely; however, does not go into details on how to meet the needs of various learning disabilities. We have basically talked about the different races, etc.

This is a great topic to discuss since there is so much emphasis on inclusion and treating students equally!

Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I completely agree. There are so many teachers out there that have special needs children in their classroom and they have no idea what to do with them and how to get them to succeed like the rest of their class, however because of the law, these children are expected to succeed. Now if only there were a way to fit such a class into our busy schedule now. But I do think that learning how to play the recorder is silly and that could possibly be an area where we could fit it in, however I did enjoy expanding my skills in the recorder department :lol:

Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with this totally. I was wanting to do the Special Olympics on Thursday just to get exposure to special needs populations. (I can't since I have to work.) I think that the school of ed should require us to take a course in Special Education because there are a lot of laws out there that we should be familiar with. My Learner Diversity professor is pushing for general education majors to have to take a class like this....I think we should push for it too!! It may not help us, but it can help future teachers.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:23 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've received a little bit of information in regards to special needs students in the last few months. This is strictly due to the fact that our teachers asked us what we needed help with and this is one of the areas that we asked for assistance in. Many of my friends that are currently student teaching have received no help at all in regards to special needs students. I think that the RCOE needs some major work in this area, these are the kinds of things we need to learn at this level. Instead of learning about the law and things that could seriously impact my future career, I learn how to make graphic organizers... fantastic.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:50 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is so important for us as teachers to be able to teach special needs students. This is a subject near and dear to my heart. I have worked and have gotten experience with special needs kids and mentally retarded adults. I have dealt some with kids from poverty stricken homes. It is an issue that I get real fired up over. I have actually often thought of changing my major to special education, but haven't. I know that we aren't required to have a course in special needs, but I would encourage everybody to atleast volunteer and work with special needs. There are many opportunies out there.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]