View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Diversity Gap 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We have talked a lot about diversity this semester. The high school that I attended was predominately black. One thing that I notice was that there was a large educational gap between the races and between the gender. This being my only experience in this matter, I was wondering if ya’ ll had a similar experience, and what can be done to close this gap.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is interesting to me Clint because as much as I would like to think I knew a possible solution to the problem, I really can't think of anything! I'm curious to see what others say!

I think a lot of this gap is due to the environment and their up-bringing! There is only so much that an educator can do to help close this gap that so many minority group children experience. Once the child leaves school they return back into that same environment that is more than likely setting them apart/back. I think that by being a positive role-model and encouraging growth/education a great deal, is a start to solving this problem.

Although it is common to see this gap, it is important to keep in mind that not all student's of different races and genders are going to be far behind your typical "white" student. We, as future teachers, need to keep this in mind and remember not to be quick to make assumptions about their intelligence levels.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have no idea what can be done to close this gap. At my high school there were four predominant groups. Certain groups definitely performed better than others and this is certainly due to many different factors. The parent factor is an important one, there are lots of students in high school who probably would not have studied as much or done their homework as often if the parents were not pushing them. Then on the opposite side there are students that wanted to succeed and their parents paid little or no attention to their school work. As teachers I think the main thing that we can do is treat all students as equals. If they feel that they are being discriminated against, then they will have less desire to succeed. There are lots of factors that we will not be able to control, but if we treat all the students as equals then we are doing our part to level the playing field.

Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:26 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

There is definitely an educational gap between different genders and different races. My highschool was very diverse, yet in my upper level classes I never had many non-white people. No one ever really thought about it, and they should. Is the cultural difference that big of an issue? Are there other factors here that are hard to see, such as average income, school districting, etc.
Growing up, it was also interesting to see that more girls were in my AP classes than guys. When I got to ASU, it seemed that most of the females I talked to had better grades in high school and had more AP credits coming into college. Why are girls doing better these days than boys?

Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't know how we could close that gap, but I wish that I did. My high school was predominantly white, but there was no real separation. There really couldn't be a separation because of the size of the school. Black students and white students took the same classes and played on the same teams so they learned to deal with the situation. Teachers however did not treat us fairly. All the teachers were white and they were very intimidated by the black students. So if anyone was getting away with things it was them. I hope to be fair with all of my students as a teacher.

Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]