View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Student Teaching Out of Area 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was just curious as to whether any of you have attempted to do your student teaching out of area. I submitted my request based on financial hardships and was declined.

I am really upset and confused about how a university can make a decision about whether or not my reasoning for needing to do my student teaching back home is legit.

Wouldn't you think that if a student goes to the trouble to type a request to be able to do his/her student teaching back home, that it would be accepted in most cases.

I am just really confused about how they can tell me my reasoning is not legit when they have no idea how my family stands financially. This bothers me just a little bit. I'm curious to see if some of you have encountered similar problems or if any of you have anything to say about this matter?!?

Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know a bunch of people who have applied for out of area student teaching based on financial hardship and got declined. It even says on the out of area application that financial hardship is not an acceptable reason. I honestly think that this is ridiculous, I mean we are paying this school tuition to work 40 hours a week in a high school and they won't allow us to save a little bit of money by living at home with our parents. Did anyone get placed out of area? If you did, what reason did you give on the application?

Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:14 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am not student teaching yet, but I heard somewhere, and to where that was I can't remember so it may not even be a viable source, but that App was changing the way that they do student teaching. I think that for the most part they want everyone to stay in Watauga, Caldwell, Avery or Ashe. I don't know if this is true or what. If anyone knows, can they help out!!

Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I know someone who requested to do student teaching out of area and her request was granted. I think a lot depends on what student teaching supervisor is close to your area...you may not be able to teach in your county, but you may be able to teach in a county that is really close to yours. If this is really important to you, then don't give up. It might help if you ask your parents to write a letter explaining all of the financial reasons more in-depth. On top of that, you could have them call the school. I think the Education department is worried that everyone would try to live at home to student teach if it meant they could say they have financial burdens, that's why it is important that you explain what those burdens are. Hope this helps.

Kourtney

Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know a girl who got her request granted, but it was because she is married. Right now she lives at home with her parents in Wilkes and commutes because her husband is in Iraq. But he comes back in August, so they'll be moving back out to the coast where his job is.

Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:36 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know people who have been declined and those who have been granted. Maybe you should try talking to someone and explain your situation. I personally don't see what they problem is. It shouldn't matter where you student teach as long as you are doing it and you are getting the experience that you need to go out into the field of education and excel.

Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was told that you cannot be granted student teaching due to financial hardships, unless they are extreme cases. I also heard that the Raleigh area was out of range for ASU and you cannot go east past Mecklenburg county. Personally, I think that this all stinks! I want to do student teaching where I think I will actually be teaching because I think that will only further help with my transition from student teaching to being on my own. I understand that they do have to come down the mountain and observe you a few times and that may be inconvient but someone with financial hardships - being up the mountain is an inconvience. Anyways Jenna, keep trying and like it was said before - see if your mom could give a more indepth explaination of your financial hardships - hopefully that will work.

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]