View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Girls and Math 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I read an article about the stereotype about boys being better than girls in math. I agree that boys do seem to do better in math than girls, but I don't think they do better because they are smarter. Girls feel that they can't do math because it is what they have been told and what they have heard probably since the time they were in school. I think that teachers need to find a way to boost their confidence about let them know that they can learn math. Girls do learn in a different way than boys do and I think that as a teacher we need to find ways to incorporate the way they learn into mathematics.

Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It's funny, but I just saw a new Simpsons episode, and this exact topic was what it was about. Girls do learn differently from boys, but I don't think math is usually taught in a way that benefits only boys. Perhaps it is just easier for males to be interested in math, and perhaps there are changes that could be made to promote female interest in mathematics. Maybe the problem is the initial perception of math teachers that boys like math more. Teachers should be open to new methods of teaching, and they should provide opportunities for both genders to gain interest in math.

Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]