View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Really a positive correlation? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When I was looking over the final exam, I was surprised at the question: Do students social class background and educational outcomes have a positive or negative correlation? I know that there is statistical correlation but do we really want to believe that if you are poor you do worse than if you are rich and do better? I know that this is probably very true but as a future teacher - this statistic makes me only want to work harder with the poor students to prove that they are just as capable to do well as the elite. Like I said, I agree that this is probably true but would any of you let this set you back and actually maybe not work as hard because a child is poor and the parents dont support you or like me, work harder to prove them all wrong? I think this data just brings up stereotypes and gives some teachers a reason to just not care about the poor students - it's sickening!

Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely agree with you Amanda! That is a really tough call, but I think that when put in the situation, I would definitely sympathize with the students who are not as fortunate as others and help them just as much. To me, all of my students will be looked at equally in my classroom regardless of their different disabilities...whatever they may be.

Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]