View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Platonics! 
All-star
All-star

After reading the Allegory of the Cave I was reminded of some of Plato's other work I read when I was in Philosophy.

Basically Plato believes that knowledge isn't learned, every tidbit of knowledge ever created is already coded in us. All we need to do is coax the knowledge to the surface.

In Plato's Meno Socrates uses questions to coax a young boy to come up with answers for himself. You can read that here if you want: http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/meno.html The section starts about halway down the page where Socrates is talking to the boy.

So getting to the point, what is your opinion on the origins and nature of knowledge?

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you" - Nietzsche

Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:47 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you" - Nietzsche

Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:34 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

So I think that Plato is not that far off (at least if I understood his point correctly :? ). His Allegory of the Cave is kind of weird by nature, but has some pretty good points. I think that we are born with a natural ability to learn, and that we work with our natural abilities and what we are given. Babies would never learn to walk if they were not prompted to do so by example or by motive. When we are learning new things, we are like sponges soaking up the knowledge. Our students are also going to be looking to soak up the things we can help them learn about themselves, the world, and how to function as an individual in a diverse society. Our job is to provide them with as much knowledge, skills, and ideas as possible.

I hope this response makes sense & does not sound crazy. :?

Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]