View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 My Pedagogic Creed...What do you think? 
All-star
All-star

In the process of expressing that the best way for students to learn is through social interaction, John Dewey has confused me a little bit.
Article IV-The Nature of Method (p.247), ends with Dewey's opinions about dealing with student emotions in the classroom. He said, "If we can only secure right habits of action and thought, with reference to the good, the true, and the beautiful, the emotions will for the most part take care of themselves...our education is threatened with no greater evil than sentimentalism."

Is he saying that we should avoid emotions in the classroom? If so, is that possible? I do not think it is. I think that students have to be able to express their emotions, especially in a social environment where they can feel supported.

Let me know what you think because I am a little bit confused. :?

Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:45 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm not sure about what Dewey is saying, but on the topic of emotion in the classroom, it must be incorperated into how we teach. Of course, this is my opinion as a future art teacher.Ssay I taught in a cole mining town where tragedy has happened you can not go into your classroom and ignore the issue and paint rainbows and butterflies these things are critical to how students cope with emotions. The way we deal with the students in a gragile state can have a much greater affect than we might think.
Teresa Holden

Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:10 pm
Site Admin

Dewey is definitely not against emotion in the classroom, in fact he (like you) thinks it is important and positive!

Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that Dewey might be hitting on the fact that if what is in the classroom is good and true along with what is outside emotions will take care of there selves. To explain this think of a confident happy individual, they know how to deal with their emotion in a healthy manner. Where someone whho is not confident and happy may not and tends to have more negative emotions. What goes on in and outside the classroom effects a child's emotions, but as teachers we should strive for the free, honest, true and beautiful things in that child's lives to raise their confidence which in turn will teach the children how to handle there emotion. And when he says if we could only, I think he know that to have all good actions and thoughts is possible but is not typical in the classroom, and that is where these hard emotions come in to play. but as teachers we need to help and teach children in a healthyand caring manner to learn how to deal with them, so they don't get out of hand. So my point after all this is I think he is not saying to avoid them but embrass the beauty of the opportunity you have to support and help them. :D

What Up Homeslice!

Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]