View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mylai reactions 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

"well now i can't say anything because you mentioned the holocaust"
quoted from sex and the city

what the Germans did was genocide, they were killing people purely because of their religion or if they looked jewish. you cannot even compare the two to each other. kill someone that does not look like you verses kill someone that is most likely going to kill you. hmmm . doesn't really seem like you could make a comparison except for the word kill. also i don't think that anyone would agree with what happened at my lai we are just stating the obvious, you don't know unless you were there.

Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In a way,I agree with lots of what has been said.I think that Adam is dead on about people being ashamed to be an American.We should never feel ashamed,but at the same time we should be aware of our mistakes so that it doesn't happen again.Our country isn't any different than others when it comes to making mistakes.The soldiers could have possibly said no,and some did.But in the time of war,who knows what any of us would have done.Hindsight is 20/20.

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:31 am
All-star
All-star

we are in no place to judge those soldiers. because we havent been there. they were given orders to kill and that's what they did, i dont understand, nor will i probably ever understand what was going through their minds when the american soldiers were following through with their orders.

but i hope no one has forgotten that we all saw in the documentary a woman tell a story of another woman being raped and the american soldier cutting her vagina. i dont mean to use harsh words other than were used in the documentary...but it happened. the american soldiers were not given such orders. because of the kinds of research we've talked about in class, i can begin to understand the killing. but the raping? it is very hard for me to believe that there is any excuse for that. since the american soldiers raped women...i think that adds a totally new element worth investigating and researching.

my foot is asleep.

Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

First off, let me completely agree with Adam. I think it is never okay to say that you are ashamed to be an American. We are so privledged and lucky to live in America, we should never lose sight of this. Yes, as Americans we make mistakes... we are all human! However; I do feel sad that this incident occured. The people in MyLai should not be forgotton, what happen to them was horrible. While unfortunate events such as these do occur in war, I think that its important to also remember the soldiers who are out there fighting for our lives. Most of the soliders have good intentions. I am proud of the soldiers & proud to be American.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:09 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i don' t think we should hold the soldiers accountable for what went on over their either. They know what they did and for most it has haunted them because of it. The people that we should hold responsible is the official who made the call even after they knew the people were still in the city. But war is a horror that many of us can not understand and will not. A person is in a different state of muind in war and especially that war. And we as Americans need to stand behind our soldiers but the same times those that are calling the shots for this nation needs to know the difference between sane and insane! And yeah alot of us may not agree with the war now but the fact is, is that our soldiers are doing what they are told and protecting are our country in the line of fire! We as a nation may not back the war itself but we need to back our fellow americans who are putting their life on the line for the ones that we love!

What Up Homeslice!

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just finished talking with a friend who served in the military in the gulf war, and shared what I knew about the video. He had researched it himself, and said that you are trained in the military to follow orders. It is something you do without even thinking about it. He said that the solidiers should have no blame for what happened, all the blame should go to those who gave the orders. He said that through his research he found that they had information that said that this village was harboring viet cong, and that many women in this village were killing american solidiers. So therefore the only unjust killing was to the babies. For that he said you had no option, what do you do with babies after you have killed their mothers, you can't take them with you. I just thought this was an interesting viewpoint to share.

Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:47 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was watching a war documentary with my dad the other day. When Saigon was about to fall and the South Vietnamese were being air lifted out of the city. Some of the Viet Cong had infiltrated into these crowds and had babies with them the American soldiers were told to search everyone everywhere. A Sargent told the men to search the diapers of the babies, the soldiers thought the man was crazy but they did and they found grenades and bombs hidden in the dirty diapers. This is just an example of the things these men were up against and they knew that, they could not trust anyone, man, woman or child. It is such a difficult situation to analyze but the enemy was everywhere. Who could ever figure out where rape came into the picture, it is past me.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2