View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Growing Good Principals 
All-star
All-star

After reading the Charlottle Observer article, "Growing Good Principals," I was reminded of the "Why Johnny Can't Misbehave" article. In the Johnny article, it assumes that the schools are training children to be conformists and that we are not teaching them to be their own person. In the principals article, it explains just how important it is to "misbehave" or not conform to the rules. I really liked the prinicpals article and I think it is so true. Having a good principal that supports their staff, students, parents, and community is vital to making a school succeed. As a future special education teacher, I feel that it is extremely important to have a good principal to advocate for student and teacher rights. So many rules and mandates for schools these days become so overwhelming for teachers and administrators that we forget the purpose of education - the child. It shouldn't matter what color skin the child has, what language they speak, or what disability they have. Children come to school to learn and make friends. Having good role models and someone that believes in them, such as principals like Nancy Guzman, can give students the confidence they need to succeed in life.

Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:36 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that Jordan made some excellent points. I really liked this article. The article pointed out that in order for a school to be successful, it needs a great principal. Teacher's need a leader who will support them and look after their needs. There are too many things that interfere with teachers being able to do their jobs. Just like the inventory example, I thought it was great that the principal told the teachers to forget the inventory and keep the focus on teaching.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:38 pm
All-star
All-star

I found this article particulary interesting because my dad is a principal and my mom is a teacher (not at the same school). I hear them talk a lot about things that are working and what is not. Dad always tells me that the most crucial element that creates an excellent school is working together as a team with common goals. Everyone from the ladies in the lunchroom to the guidance counselor must work together for the best interest of the students. A great working environment will create a lot of positive energy for the students. In the article, she says that the key is to take risks. Being a good principal, or teacher for that matter, is doing whatever it takes to create the best learning environment possible for the students, and she is exactly right.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]