View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Yankees 
All-star
All-star

I could not believe some of the things I saw on that video about the Boston school system. The way the white Boston parents acted was completely insane! For people up North to look down upon the South for being racist and what not, they do need to see this video! It is almost ike you expect to see that kind of behavior from the South during that time period, but I was appaled to see how cruel the whites were in Boston. The African Americans that were interviewed seemed well educated and well spoken and they were much more mature than the white people who were shown. I am really glad we watched this video tonight so that it is known that the North had their own problems too with desegregation and the South shouldn't take all the blame.

Has anyone ever heard of any other Northern city having racial bussing problems in the 60s or 70s? I am sure there were more cases like this that just never get brought up because so much focus was on the South at that time.

Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Like Jordan, I was also shocked to find out that there were racial problems in Boston during the early seventies. I am appalled at the actions of the white citizens. I had always thought that Boston did not have any racial issues. How mistaken I was.

Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

One reason you don't hear about Northern racism very often is that there aren't as many black people up there. The last two maps on this page are interesting: http://ucdata.berkeley.edu:7101/rsfcensus/graphics.html

Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten. ~ B. F. Skinner

Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It disturbs me to know that these are americans and this is exactly the type of stuff that other countries see. Why can't we live among eachother in peace and why does everything have to be about race/ Will this ever change? I don't think it will. Although it is shocking for the north this happens all the time and was happenign in the Midwest at this time to when they integrated schools, I remember my mom taking about it and hearing about when my brother had to be bussed across the city of Millwakee, Wisconsin. Racism happens everywhere and it shows how ignorant Americans can be. It is absolutely ridiculous and this is why as teachers we can't take the path of least resistence we have to stand up for everyones right and what is moral abnd just and the fact is if you don't know what is than you don't need to be teaching the children of our country or any other country at that!

What Up Homeslice!

Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]