View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 I am an American! 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

How do you feel that we are all labeled under a different race or color, Black, brown, red , white? Does caucsian really describe our ethnicity, does African American really describe those who are black and never lived in Africa? When you were younger and asked the question "What is your race' on standardized tests, who checked other?

I did because my ethnicity can never and will never be categorized under one ethnicity, I am german, scottish, Irish, Norwegein, Swedish, and French Candian, there is only one category that you can put me under and that is I am an AMERICAN! And that is just like everyone else that is a citizen of this counrty from birth. Why don't tests ask this question instead, because they think that race has to do with how well we perform on tests, in jobs everything. And the fact is is that in order for our country to change this lable has to be thrown out the window and the sterotypes that we have has to be and when this happens you will see a rise in our school performance and our schools could be the top in the world! (WOW) :P

What Up Homeslice!

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also did not check the caucasion box on the tests. I always checked native american because I feel that I am a native. Hopefully in the near future, people will not have to disclose their ethnicity.

Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree, an American is an American. Like Rebecca pointed out in our leadership group last week, when are black people going to be able to take the "african" out of african american and just be americans?? I feel that if you were born here then you have the right to be called an American. I was filling out a job application the other day and had to state my race, and I refused to fill it out, because it shouldn't matter. Those corporations who try to be "diversified" by hiring just as many black people as white people or just as many asians or hispanics, etc are just as wrong. They're just trying to look good. Why can't they just hire people who are qualified, and that would end up just as diversified, because obviously there are plenty of very qualified people in all races.

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:20 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Whenever i had to check what my race was on standardized test i would checked different boxes. One day i was an african-american, the next i was latino, the next i was white. Growing up, i never understood why they needed to know what my race was and why it was important for test taking. But now i know that they need this data for classification purposes. I do not know why it is important, but they want us to check the box in order to see which race does well and which ones do poor on these tests. I guess they do this so they know who needs more attention in the classroom.

U CAN, UCONN

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:44 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If they ask for race on standardized tests so they can measure each race's success with the test, then conform the tests to reach all races, then I understand why they ask it. But why does an employer ask it, what does it matter to them, a job should be based upon qualifications alone. As teachers it is important that we influence children not to judge by race, and work at creating a more unified society.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i agree with burl completely. if the tests are one sided to a certain race and they need to create a more well rounded test then so be it. and employers who feel that someone should get a job based on race but they are not as qualified as a white candidate then that is being unfair and just plain crazy. employee selection should definately be based on crudentials. on the other hand what brianne said is a good point we are all americans we should all be seen as that instead of a color.

Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree.....I think.....with all the afore mentioned! Why do we have to have a race check box? I think if you are more qualified for a job or scholarship that should be reason enough to get it....not because you happen to be the lucky race of the month! Why can't we all just be Americans...not let me put a check mark in the black or white box?

Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]