View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Black History Month 
All-star
All-star

Should we have a Black History Month? Should we pay more attention to black history all the time? Less attention? What do you think?

Personally, I think that it's important to include in the daily curriculum, and not just include it one month out of the year.
Did you know that Daniel Hale Williams repaired the still beating heart of a stabbing victim in 1893 with very little medical technology, and he had established over forty hospitals when he retired from practicing medicine? Did you know that Garrett Augustus Morgan invented the gas mask and the three-way traffic light? Both of these men are African Americans & I just thoughts these bits of information were very interesting!

* I'm pretty sure that no one else already started a thread on this, but if someone did, sorry!

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I dont see anything wrong with black history month. It forces teachers to take time out of the core subjects and talk about black history. I definately think that black history as well as other cultures should be integrated into the classroom. However; I wonder if there was no black history month, would teachers put that subject on the back burner? With so much emphasis on testing, there is hardly time to teach anything other than the subjects being tested. I think that having black history month is very beneficial.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:17 pm
All-star
All-star

The talk of black history month and other cultures reminds me of a book I had to read in one of my freshman classes. "Schools That Work." I know some of you had to read it and probably remember it as well. This school was very multicultural and every week, or month they decorated the school to reflect one culture, and focused all of their teaching based on that culture. English classes would work on their part of the curriculum using that culture's books, Math teachers could incorporate it somehow, history, well that's a no-brainer, etc, etc. Each subject used whatever culture the school was exploring that week to teach their subjects. It seemed very effective and a wonderful way to make students more accepting of others.

Never forget there are things bigger than you.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is important for Black History month. People, of all ethnicities, need to be aware of the struggles and accomplishments that blacks have made. I also think that there should be other months that honor other people such as Arabs, Hispanics, Whites, American Indians,Asian and any others I have failed to mention. There are 12 months in the year so it could work.

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with all of you that black history month is important, however it has always seemed to me that our society feels like it has to deem Feb. as Black History Month to make up for the past. I think it is wonderful to celebrate all of the accomplishments and contributions that African Americans have made to this country. But, this month sort of singles them out. Isn't that kind of what we are trying to aviod? There is no way for me to write or say this in a way that won't offend people. Schools should automatically incorperate the accomplishements of all cultures, including the signfiicant ones that African Americans have made. I am not trying to say that they don't deserve a month to commemorate their accomplishments, but what about the other cultures, etc.

What do you think??

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Until the study of minorities and women is totally integrated into the curriculum, it is necessary to take time out and recognize their accomplishments. In a perfect world, history wouldn't be only the study of DWEM (dead white Eurpean males) but that's pretty much what dominates presently.

PS - Black History Month: An Objective Perspective http://www.collegehumor.com/articles/1662606

Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:29 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm not sure how I feel about having Black History Month. I used to think it was a good thing, especially after all of the trials and tribulations African Americans have went through in the history of our country. I think it's as important for our students to know about our African Americans who have acquired great accomplishments, along with our white famous Americans. But, when it comes down to just making African American people mad that we have a month that celebrates their history, then I'm not sure. If the the people who are being celebrated aren't happy about it, then it doesn't seem right.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:38 pm
All-star
All-star

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/ed ... tory_x.htm

I thought this article on Black History Month was interesting. There are several different editorials (from black and white people alike).

Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:52 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it is a good thing to recognize black history. I dont know about the month thing though. What about hispanic history month, asian history month, native american history month, white history month? Why not just incorporate these histories in curriculum? Why do blacks get a month? Why would it cause such a big stink if whites asked for a month? Why is Feburary special enough to be the month of black history? Why not may or june? Sorry Guys...started to ramble!

Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:52 pm
All-star
All-star

my foot is asleep.

Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:00 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it's a little too ironic that Black History month is the shortest month of the year.....but that's just me. I know several African Americans who think black history month is just a sham, like whites just threw them a bone to keep them quiet. But if we have black history month, why don't we have hispanic history month, jewish history month, or hmong history month? i agree with most everyone else that we should study other cultures all year around. so rather than dusting off the mlk books for feb, maybe we should teach in a more natural progression, discussing people of all ethnicities in relation to the particular unit we're working on.

Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]