View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 fraternities and sororities 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know that we are not discussing social classes anymore, but I was wondering what some of you might think. Are social fraternities/sororities perpetuating class distinctions in college?

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:32 pm
All-star
All-star

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you" - Nietzsche

Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yes, I do believe sororities and fraternities are contributing to the social class differences. Once upon a time I think they were a good way to bond college students by sisterhood and brotherhood and whatnot, but I think that has long since given way to drinking contests. Sorry if that offends anyone. :wink:

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Last edited by Nicole Stack on Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

but I think that has long sinced given way to drinking contests.

When it comes to that I would much rather be a free agent.

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you" - Nietzsche

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Where are Flounder,Otter,and Otis Day when we need their input....
"OTIS,MY MAN!"

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:13 pm
All-star
All-star

I could be very off by saying this and please correct me if i am but i do think that fraternities/sororities do separate classes at universities because most people can't offered to be in them. These fraternities/sororities, to me, should be a group that go out in the community and do great things for it. Don't get me wrong, i know they do that, but what about that poor college student who wants to be part of that group that has this so-called "botherhood/sisterhood bond" which helps out in the community but can't do so because he does not have the money to join. And even if he did had the money, whose to say that he would even be selected to join. Most fraternities/sororities only care if you can drink enough and if you can't then sorry, better luck next year. I am sorry for anyone reading this that disagrees, i just can't stand frats, for it killed one of my best friends growing up and i think that the whole brotherhood thing is a load of crap. My friend would probably still be alive today if they truly looked after their brothers. I thought it was a slap in the face to my friend's parents when at his funeral, his frat brothers sat up on stage and placed flower's on his coffin. A simple knock on the door weeks before could have saved him, but his brother's were probably just to damn drunk to have smelt smoke.

U CAN, UCONN

Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:59 pm
All-star
All-star

Hmmm this can be a very sticky subject. I think as any group/team/sorority/fraternity/etc, there can be a way of creating a clique. This is a way of passage and a way to make it a priveledge to be a part of something. Yes, I do consider the fact you have to pay for a sorority/fraterinty but that comes along with alot of other things also. This is a very intersting topic and I am not too well educated on it - I would love to hear from someone who is a member of one.

Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:46 pm
All-star
All-star

I totally understand all of your comments on sororities and fraternities. I have to say that I really don't know much at all about fraternities, but I do know about sororities. I have been in one here at ASU since last fall. I am not a party girl, I don't go out during the week, and I don't do many of the things that people stereotype sorority girls to do. I never had any intentions of EVER joining a sorority when I was a freshman. I came to App, made my own friends and started dating a guy that was not in a frat. Through some mutual friends I met several girls in the sorority that I am now in. I didn't even know they were in a sorority until about three months into meeting them. I thought that all sorority girls fit into one specific mold but these girls were different.

After hanging out with these "sorority" girls I had met, I decided to give it a try. The only thing that was really holding me back was the $$ part and the fact that I would now be labled as a sorority girl. I pay for it all on my own as do most of the girls (they have these things called payment plans :) ) and I think every penny is worth it. It has exposed me to so many new opportunities and so many wonderful people. It has taught me excellent time management skills, as well as given me vital leadership experience. I have been on the Chancellor's List every semester since I got in and I think a sorority is what you make of it. Some may chose to go out and party, drink & have a good old time when they get in, but others such as myself, try to make it for the betterment of ourselves. I honestly ask myself what the heck would I be doing with my free time now if I wasn't in the sorority.

I am used to all the negative comments about sororites and frats, and believe me, I said them all before I joined one too. But, from my perspective, being Greek has enhanced my college experience beyond anything I could have ever imagined. I can't really speak on behalf of frats though because I don't really know many guys in them at all. I didn't do a sorority for the social aspect, I did it for the experience and the lifelong bond of friendships that I have had the pleasure of making.

Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i think everyone has made some great points. i have several different viewpoints, and jordan, thanks for letting me see your perspective on this. first of all, i think it would be silly for us to judge in general whether or not sororities or fraternities are bad or good. matt, one of your best friends was killed, and that particular fraternity sounds awful if they didn't look after your friend. jordan, you sound like you really enjoy your sorority and are glad of all the opportunities it gave you that you might not have had in college otherwise! both people have a different but true perspective on the issue, and both are justified. therefore, i think we can't make that generalization. i think any group, club, or organization has a tendancy to be cliquish. for example, i'm a teaching fellow, and it is a huge group that has meetings, travels different places, and takes certain classes that are only offered if you are a teaching fellow. are we considered cliquish? possibly- depends on the person. personally, i have made some of the best friends ever in this program, and i don't think we would have been so close if we didn't spend time doing things together. so, yeah sororities and fraternities do have a stereotype of being very exclusive, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't bring people together- would those people in the sorority be as close if they did not meet together in that group? maybe it helps college because it brings people together that wouldn't necessarily hang out to begin with. if app or any other college didn't have organizations, there wouldn't be any unity. i think they're a necessity. but, i also think that the people in groups should not only stick to that group of people- constantly branch out and meet new people and truly care about them- that's where people really come together.

:-)

Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:18 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Jordan thanks for sharing your inside perspective on this issue. Not trying to cut you down but I do agree with Jill that there will always be cliques among them just like any other club or organization. Although the sterotype of sororities and Fraternities does boil down to money, and for most one has to have the money to start one. And it does become a social class issue, how do guys and girls chose people to be in them, is it based on brains and service, no alot has to do with your personality and if you will CLIQUE with the other group members. Alot of time unintensionally this leaves out those that are of a lower class because there experiences don't have much incommon with the group. Why can't everybody be invited to be in a sorority or faternity? How come you only see the finest attire and beauty among them? And how come most of the money in the dues every month or semester is put towards parting. A friend of mine was in a fraternity at state and he said they had 10,000 dollars every semester to use on partying you can't tell me that that has nothing to do with class. In one fraternity alone has more money than a family who lives in poverty! And I know that is a bold statement but it happens. And I find it sad! I know that all sororites and fraternities are not like this and there are different people that make up them . I guess my point is there is alot about them that does deal with money and who fits in and the fact is those that come from a poorer family background, first would kow that they couldn't pay to be in one and second probably wouldn't cligue with everyone in the group therfore wouldn't be chosen. I don't want to sound mean I don't dislike sorority or fraternities I just find that the majority of the sterotypes hold true! :?

What Up Homeslice!

Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]