View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Transgender Revolution 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I wanted to get everybody's ideas on the video we saw about transgenders and the class discussion in general.Did anyone feel uncomfortable?Agree or disagree with the people taking part?I haven't formed my opinion in whole yet,I'm still trying to make up my mind,but figured some of you have strong opinions one way or the other already.

Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:51 am
All-star
All-star

When the movie first started, I thought I would feel uncomfortable. As the movie progressed, however, the only real time I felt uncomfortable was when they were showing the surgery operation. I hate watching stuff like that and I had to close my eyes at times.

I have not been around many transgender people, and if I have transgender parents in my class, I am sort of scared about how I will react. I could go on forever saying that I would accept them like any other parent, treat them no differently, etc. etc., but in reality I don't know how I would react. I would hope that I would put away the bias stereotypes, but until I expereince that situation I honsetly don't know how I will react.

Does anyone feel like this??

Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:55 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

There were times when I was worried about how I would act around a transgender or homosexual person when I was younger, because I was raised very traditionally out in the middle of nowhere with only white conservatives in my town. I was always afraid I wouldn't be able to accept those who were different than me, but when I came to college I realized that I'm not like that at all. The older I get the more strongly I feel that it doesn't make any sort of difference to me what color, sexual orientation, etc. my friends and the people around me are. As a teacher, what will matter to me is the education and welfare of the children in my class, regardless of their differences. The video didn't make me uncomfortable, but I did question why they would want to make a video about it and draw attention to it unless they were ready for a fight. There will always be those in the world who disagree with you about everything, whether it's something little like the way you wear your hair, or something like the color of your skin. The way I deal with it is just to ignore it.

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have lived in a city where it is quite typical to see someone dressing and acting different from their original gender. This exposure to different lifestyles has made me more open-minded. I accept people for their differences and I do not make judgements. I wish other people could be more accepting of these people and see that they are people just like you and me. I also think that they do have the same rights as anyone else and should not be discriminated against because of there gender issues.

Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:04 pm
All-star
All-star

alright, preface to this post: this is going to be really hard to explain so try to bare with me...

i dont understand much of anything. we were discussing what makes one a boy/girl etc. is it the clothes you wear? is it whats down there? is it who you love and what gender they are? its just a revolving door.

i am a girl. i know im a girl. blah blah blah. but lets just say i hate being a girl...i want to be a boy. does that mean i want to wear pants all the time? does that mean i want a you know what down there? what does it mean?

homosexuals/bi-sexuals/transgender lalala they all ask for us to consider the fact that we are all just PEOPLE, not male, not female...it shouldnt matter what sex you are. love is love and people are people. we're all equal...so why DOES it matter that someone get surgery? or why DOES it matter that you take hormone pills to change your appearance and the sound of your voice? obviously, somewhere down the line it DOES matter. to someone. because if it didnt matter, if we were all people, all human beings, and love was love, not a distinction between a man and a woman or a woman and a woman etc. then we would be born the way we are born and stick to it. i just dont get it.

everyone deserves equal rights to marry, to love, to learn, to live. no one should be denied any of these things (this is my opinion) because we ARE all human, all people, we ALL love and live and learn...

so my question is, why does it matter whats going on down there? i think the problem isnt whats going on in a persons pants...its whats going on in a persons brain that needs working on.

again...i dont know what its like to not want to be what i am.

my foot is asleep.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I found the video on transgenders to be very interesting. It's odd to learn about another group of people who are so clearly trying to survive in such a mixed-up society. I find it hard to not think it's weird that someone wants to change their sex, but I also feel it's unfair to condemn someone because they aren't happy in their God-given sex. Life, as we all know, doesn't last forever. And, it would make a very long one to live unhappily, as so many of those transgendered people have before their changes. If changing their sex is what makes their life better for them, then I say, go for it. I'm glad we got to experience that video because I want to know about these issues. Not everyone comes from your "typical" family of a real mom, dad and siblings. As a teacher, I want to be aware of the differences and be understanding to them.

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have more respect for the lifestyle after watching the movie.At the same time,I don't know that I would feel completely comfortable having one in my classroom.I wouldn't discriminate or anything along those lines,its just not something I'm used to I guess.After watching the movie I definitely have a new view on why people choose to live that life.

Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:22 pm
All-star
All-star

After watching the movie on transgender people, my opinion did not change. I still think that it is weird and that it is disgusting. But, like rebecca said, they are people and that they should be treated with respect like everyone else should. Just because i believe that it is wrong doesn't mean i am uncomfortable around such people. I have had 2 friends that are gay and dressed up like women. I know that it is not the same as transgender, but it will pretty damn close. I showed them respect, but at the same time, they knew that i didn't agree with what they did. But friends don't always agree on everything. Growing up with something like this in your life benefits you as a person because you get to experience the feelings, the talks with those people, etc. Having those experiences will help me be able to deal with people who decide that they would rather be a man or a woman and it will make me a better teacher.

U CAN, UCONN

Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the second part of matt's response was good and rebecca's was very good too. i understand that people are people but because i don't know what they are going through wanting to be another sex i just don't get it. i was a tom boy when i was little but i never wanted a penis, i just liked playing in the dirt. what i am wondering is if many of these people had been born hermaphrodite or have a hormonal embalance that makes them feel the way they do, or is it just confusion? i don't know it is beyond me. i don't agree with it but i don't judge either.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]