View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 It's March 
All-star
All-star

Another year has past for Black History Month and let me tell you I really did not notice anything special during the past month that would have convinced me that Black History Month is that influencial to people outside of the African-American race. What i mean is that i did not learn anything about black history that i did not already know. It's only MLK Jr. this and Rosa Parks that. We learn about their struggles in school. How about putting many specials on the major t.v. stations (abc, cbs, nbc, etc.) telling stories about the struggles of african-americans and special contributions they had that most people don't know about. Am I just being stupid or does anyone else agree with me? If you disagree, please post your opinion. Let me just say that I am not racist one bit, if incase i came off like i am. I just want more and i am tired of settling for mediocrity.

U CAN, UCONN

Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Matt, we all are allowed our own opinions. I feel that it is important to have a Black History Month. The slave trade that enveloped our nation in the early years really left a scar on our society. We are still healing from that terrible time. The acknowledgement of Black History Month is an important step towards this healing.

Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:22 am
All-star
All-star

in an extremely white-middle-class-male dominated society its hard to see stuff going on outside of that. i also think it is important to have black history month...theyve gone through a lot and are still struggling in this country for the respect that should be given to all people...the least we can do is give them a month.

my foot is asleep.

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It's my personal opinion that Black History Month does more harm than good.

"I don't know how to tell you this, but I'm kinda a big deal...People know me."

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:54 pm
All-star
All-star

This is an interesting topic and I do wish I was more well educated on it than I am. I do however, also think it is a good thing to have black history month. It is part of OUR history, not just "theirs". I do howerver, wish that maybe the community of Boone or anywhere that is not as heavily populated with African Americans, push this celebration of culture.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After reading Matt's post, I tried to remember how much I heard about things going on for Black History Month. I can remember just a few, making me wonder exactly what Black History Month is about. I don't really know much about it, but I realize that it isn't because it isn't important and pointless. I think it is because (agreeing with Jill here) that I am not currently living in a place with a large enough African American population to tell much. It is very important and the struggles and sacrifices that African Americans went through must be acknowledged and remembered.

in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

How about, instead of Black History Month, Women's History Month, Asian-Pacific-American Month (seriously - it's in May), why don't the people that write the standards include something about teaching the contributions of various ethnic, gender, religious, and other groups to the area being taught. It would make more sense to make diversity part of the full curriculum, and it would give the information some context.

Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten. ~ B. F. Skinner

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:07 pm
All-star
All-star

Seconded Maggie, refer yourself to.... New Month, New Group topic

Never forget there are things bigger than you.

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]