View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Affirmative Action 
All-star
All-star

So what do you all think about it...Dr. Turner asked us to think about things from both ends of the spectrum...

personally i think its BULL*%*$...wups. i think its rediculous, it shouldnt matter at all what box you check under "race/ethnicity" (referring to a previous post) when applying for school, jobs etc...

but what do you all think? do you know people or situations where AA was practiced?

holla 'bout it.

my foot is asleep.

Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Rebecca, people should not be discriminated against, because of their race or gender. When deciding who gets a job, the employer should look at qualifications not race or gender. Why give special attention to candidates just because of their race. I should not get special attention over a female candidate for a teaching job, because the school wants more male teachers. Instead the administrators should base the hiring on who is better qualified to fill the position.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:47 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i agree with burl and becca- on applications and tests, there is usually a question that says, we do not discriminate based on class, race, gender, etc but please fill out what race you are- why do they need that question if they say it doesn't matter? i think a stereotype or generalization immediately pops into our head once we see what race someone is no matter how hard we try not to do it. it's our job to fight it, and i think not having the race on applications is a start.

:-)

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm not sure how I feel about affirmitive action. I do know that discrimination still very much exists today. In one of my sociology classes, we learned about situations where african americans have not recieved jobs just because of their name. For example, my professor told us about this african american woman whos name was Shaniqua. She was overly qualified for a job but didnt recieve it because her name was a black name. With affirmitive action, it forces people to hire african americans. I'm not sure thats a bad idea.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:05 pm
All-star
All-star

there is usually a question that says, we do not discriminate based on class, race, gender, etc but please fill out what race you are- why do they need that question if they say it doesn't matter?

Excellent point. I wholeheartedly agree with all of this. But I'm still on the fence about affirmative action, like, look at Appalachian. Our diversity is at what? 2%. That is one of the lowest in this state, not to mention thsi country. I feel what is most important for colleges to see is your academic achievement, not what color your skin might be. That being said, many schools have a low number of diverse scholars, Appalachian, for example and have very few options for diversity to be felt on campus. Well, in posting this, I have actually come to the conclusion that you should just wipe away the race checkbox on college applications, and diversity will figure itself out.

Never forget there are things bigger than you.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think that people should be discriminated against, or chosen because of their race when it comes to getting a job or getting into a school, etc. I think that race/gender should not even be included on those forms. But, these places do have responsibilities to maintain a diverse environment, so I don't know that AA will ever go away. Just like in the case of someone having a black name and not getting a job...that's definitely not right either. Maybe the forms should not include your name, race or gender, you should just be a number....but I'm sure there would be some other type of information that could be used as discrimination so it seems to be a never-ending cycle.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

There has to be some kind of affirmative action because there is still racism in my opinion.The best way I've heard it put is like this.

"If a white person scores better on a test than me,I don't think that I should get the job over them because I'm black.But if we're tied...fu** em.'"
-Chris Rock

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

that was a good quote. i think this is a big problem. affirmative action can be a good thing and a bad thing. i think that it is happening very much at the college level. students applying for colleges there is a standard they have to meet to get into those colleges. but i believe because of the enforcements schools are making to make their colleges more like the overall population, they are making grading exceptions for people of different ethnicities. this is hurting the students that made the grade and got turned down because they wanted more diversity in the schools. i think everything should be based on the same thing such as the standards, this is a representation of a persons performance and hard work not the color of their skin.

Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm definitely against affirmative action as I understand it. I see it as saying "Minorities are often discriminated against in life, so this time we're going to turn the tables." I don't think I should miss out on opportunities just because I am white any more than I think racial minorities should miss out because the aren't white.

Having race "tip the scale" is not beneficial to race relations. It is treating people different on the basis of race. Many white people will resent it, and may blame minorities for missed opportunities (ex: I probably didn't get that job because they were saving it for a black person). It also harms minorities who achieve based on their own merits. People will always wonder whether non-whites got a college acceptance or job opening because they earned it or because they were born a certain skin color.

I do believe that discrimination exists, and I think we need to fight it through education and support services. But I don't think that we should implement reverse discrimination.

Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten. ~ B. F. Skinner

Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I would say I'm pretty much against affirmative action, but I can see the other side of it. If there are people in this world that are going to discriminate based on somebody's name, then they need some kind of push in the right direction. However, if you think about it, no matter what people can still hire whomever they want to. If they're supposed to hire X amount of African Americans they can still discriminate based on things within that ethnicity. You really can't get rid of discrimination no matter how hard you try.

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

After the debates last night, I really don't know where I stand on Affirmative Action. Even though I was against it full force before the debate started, my team then had to argue for it. After I comprehended the points for A.A., I began to change my mind some.

Did anyone else become even more confused on this topic after last night???

Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i personally think that a lot of people are scared to say that they disagree with affirmative action because their afraid they will come off racist. think about it this way, if you are black and you get a job at a company because of affirmative action but that is the only reason this doesn't mean that the people that run the company aren't racist, prejudice or anything else. regardless of the rules people are going to have their own personal feelings, would you want to work for someone in the first place. people need to do their best and be judged on ability.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think it's necessary for colleges to practice AA. At schools like ASU where diversity is so low, it's especially important. I would be so intimated if I was a minority trying to come to this campus and I'd definitely need some kind of extra incentive. I've heard of Caucasian applicants getting minority scholarships to primarily African American schools, so it sounds like AA works both ways, with the attempt to increase diversity. Plus, I don't think AA is letting unqualified students into colleges, it's just a little extra boost. I don't feel in any way that I was cheated or looked over because of AA. Does anyone know how much of a factor/how much weight race carries in the application process here at ASU? I know it's not something like, "Oh, you're SAT scores are pretty low, and you didn't really participate in any extracurriculars, but HEY! you're not white so pack your bags and come on over!"

Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]