View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 What would you do? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

From our discussions in class and from reading "A Hope in the Unseen" I was just wondering if anybody had any thoughts as to how they would react if they were put in a situation where perhaps the school was pressuring them to discourage a student like the main character of the book from taking something like the SAT or ACT just because you knew they were from a poor social class and had other stigmas attached to them....

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:58 pm
All-star
All-star

Well if I knew someone was discouraging someone from taking a test that culd alter their future I would them very carefully think about their decision. What I woudl do , if I realized taht someone might not be able to afford the test of maybe not do as well as others - I would explain to the student that it is a fairly expensive test but they are encouraged to take it and I woudl find a way to have that happen. If I was afraid of how well they would do on the test I would tell them that the test is very long and tedious but all types of people are very successful with it - also i would explain that it does not determine their intelligence level at all - simply their ability to take a test - which can range. I would definitely encourage all students to take the test as long as colleges are using them to determine entry.

Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]