View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 End of Grade Testing 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was wondering what some of your thoughts about EOG's are. I know we need some sort of system to assess our students, but do you think there is a better way?

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:07 am
All-star
All-star

This is a sticky situation - because it is true taht we definitely need a way to know if our students are learning all they are supposed to for that grade level. I think the "idea" of EOG's is good - however, the execution of them is not so good. Me, being a PE teacher - and not taught too much about EOG's - am really unaware on how elementary ed students are taught to conduct these. however, I do believe that we need to make sure students are not only learning exactly what is on the test - but also who they are as individuals - likes, dislikes, skills, and things they need to improve on, in and outside of the classroom. Now - someone come up with the perfect way and we will be golden.

Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:18 pm
All-star
All-star

EOG's are a necessary evil, however I feel that they shouldn't hold as much weight as they do.

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you" - Nietzsche

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:38 am
Profile WWW

Like everyone else has said, I think EOG's are necessary... but at the same time I do not like the system we have. I'm in a 3rd grade class right now for practicum and 3rd grade is a gateway grade, meaning if the students don't pass the EOG they are not supposed to be able to move on to 4th grade. My teacher is freaking out because according to recent practice tests less than half of her class is on grade level. Also, I do not like the fact that so much time is spent "teaching to the test". Science and social studies are only taught if there is time after practicing for the EOG (in the class I am in both of these subjects get taught about once a week for 30 mins). Overall, the tests have improved students' performance... but at what cost???

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:35 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know that in a way standarized testing can be a good thing because we do need to know how are students are doing and what can be done to help them improve. But, I think that the pressure that is put on teachers to teach the materials and ESPECIALLY students to perform well on these tests is ridiculous. I think it's horrible for an elementary schooler to worry that they aren't going to go on to the next grade if they don't pass one of the end of year tests--that's a lot of stress on such a little person! I thimk that the nation should have one standard test to go by and that maybe the pressure shouldn't be so intense.

Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]