View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 future classrooms 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As future teachers do you think it is better to begin the school year off as super strict and then ease up after the year goes by or.......get to know your students first before deciding whether or not to be super strict or not so strict? Does that make sense?

Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:37 pm

If I had to decide between being super strict and not very strict at the beginning of the year I would definatly choose to be super strict. However, after watching teachers I worked with in practicum and thinking back to teachers I have had in the past, I don't think teachers have to be strict in the traditional sense to end up with a class that is respectful and knows what is expected of them. On that note, I think teachers need to set the ground rules (whatever they may be) and stick with them from the beginning in order to have a class that runs smoothly.

Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:17 am
All-star
All-star

Well, as a future physical educator, i really don't see how i can't be "super-strict". There are so many bad things that can happen in a gym setting that you have to make sure that your students know from the get go what is right and what is wrong. I don't think there should be a permissible actions. I don't really like that word "strict" though. I think that you can use another word like, "reinforcing" or "very caring". Make sure you push the rules, routines, etc. the first couple of weeks of school, then you can back off a little since they would know what is right and wrong; hopefully. Always, reinforce the rules on children though. The most important way to help manage children is to show them that you love them and respect them. If you can display this affection and mean it, then they will respect you and your classroom. If not, then you could have problems. But thats what i think, what do i know. LETS GO YANKEES!!!!

U CAN, UCONN

Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think you need to start the year off with both, definately get to know your students and get a feel for their behavior. But set rules for the classroom as a class and the strict part is follow through with them from the begining. When you say you are going to do something do it. They need to know that you are in control. I respected the fun but strict teachers a whole lot more than the ones that didn't have control of the classroom. No one says you have to be one or the other you can be both strict and an energetic teacher who knows their students.

What Up Homeslice!

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Being super strict at the beginning is not necessary. Making sure your students know what is expected of them while giving them a sense of respect will result in them respecting you. If you have problems with a certain student take care of them in an appropriate form of discipline. Nobody likes a mean teacher. I remember having a couple horrible teachers. I hated going to class and I didn't want to learn. In order to be successful as teachers we have to make sure our learning environment is fun. You can do this while having rules. You can do this by not getting walked on.

in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]