View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 SOLs/ standardized testing 
All-star
All-star

Hello, everyone. What do y'all think about the end of the year/course standardized tests? We have learned alot about the race issue dealing with these such tests, but lets go alittle beyond the race issue. Do the people on the committees who make up these tests have background in human growth and development. I mean, how much should 2nd graders know about ancient Eygpt? I know they are scaffolding so the students will have a little background on this information when they get to higher grades, but some of the questions on these tests are so abstract. Do you think that the questions on the tests are age-appropriate, especially for the younger students?

U CAN, UCONN

Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Most of the tests are fine in my experience.They ask reasonable questions and if I'm not mistaken they start in the 3rd grade,not before.The standardized tests aren't as socially biased as the SAT and others.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:42 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Murphy. I don't think standarized tests are very biased for younger grades. Elementary Education curriculum calls for basic understanding so children are ready for higher grades. It is only in higher grades when critical thinking comes in to play and tests are not just about basic information.

in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]