View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 New Discovery 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

At the elementary school that I have been doing my block I internship at, I found out today that a student in my class has a sibling who is deaf, blind and mute. I was amazed to hear that, especially after the discussion in our last class meeting about Helen Keller. The student who has this sibling suffers from form of Autism. He has a brilliant mind, yet the socializing aspect is just not there. He has grown up in a household trying to deal with his sibling who suffers from three disablities. I can't imagine how this child must feel to try to deal with that issue being taken care of in his household and then his own issues being dealt with at the same time. I can't even imagine how difficult this parenting job is for those two students.

Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:49 pm

All I can say is.. WOW! I don't know how their parents can handle it all. When I hear about extreme situations like this it makes me soooo grateful for my life. I think its a great reality check, especially during the stressful parts of the semester, to think about how other people live and the day to day challenges they must overcome.

Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:46 am
All-star
All-star

That is an unfortanate situation for everyone in that family. The good thing, is that it seems that both of the children with disabilities are getting the love and attention from their parents. Emily said in her reply, "it makes me soooo grateful for my life." I feel the same. My late grandfather always asked me, "Are u a lucky kid?" Of course i would always say yes, but i didn't feel that way. I never got a dog when i was younger, i wasn't as tall as i wanted to be, etc. I now know what he meant by that question. I was a very lucky kid. I had loving parents (grandparents), i had no extreme disabilities, i had food on the table every day, and most important i got to spend 21 great years with my grandfather.
Everybody needs to feel like they are a lucky kid. That is one thing we as teachers need to think about when we begin our profession. Some kids don't get food on the table every day, or don't get the love from their parents that they deserve. We have to find ways to show these children that they are loved and are very lucky. If not, then what is to become of them.

U CAN, UCONN

Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This topic is interesting to me because a child in my Block I class is deaf as well. She is adopted because both of her parents were abusive, and they both happened to be deaf as well. She has four siblings, two of which are also deaf. (3 of 5 children in the family are deaf). The two oldest children are still in foster care. Her older sister and younger sister also attend the same school. Her younger sister is not deaf but she signs for her kindergarten class. I think that is amazing because the girl in "my" class is going to be retained this year. The kindergarteners moving to first grade will be able to communicate with her and she will have someone to talk to when her other classmates (who have learned how to sign w/ her) will be gone.

in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]