View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Tiny bits of wisdom 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Through talking with veteren teachers, and just old, wise people in general, I've notice that they seem to have particular insight to a lot of different situations. Not that any of us are old, but I'm willing to bet that a lot of you have some great knowledge about areas of teaching that we didn't cover this year in class. Because of that, I wanted to start this thread so that you all would have a chance to share that wisdom with everyone. So, if you think you have a particularly good strategy for handling a situation, or have a unique way of looking at a problem we might face in the classroom, please post it below.

"I don't know how to tell you this, but I'm kinda a big deal...People know me."

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:14 am
All-star
All-star

I have said this in a lot of my postings, but one more time can not hurt. Every child wants to be loved, even if they say they don't. They are lying. Most important, they need to be respected. So, what i am saying is that if you show your students that you truly care about them and completely respect them, then they will show that same affect right back to you. So if you are having difficulties managing certain students, show them that you are doing the most you can for them and that you truly care for them. This will take time and effort, so the weak at heart will have a hard time with this method, but hopefully this will turn the student's attitude around.

U CAN, UCONN

Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My teacher role models have something in common: they make every effort to ensure that children feel confident, capable, important, and valuable. They aren't control freaks in their classrooms: instead of forcing students to conform to their standards, they meet students where the students are and then challenge them while giving them their full support. And they are passionate. In my experience, this is what makes outstanding teachers.

Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten. ~ B. F. Skinner

Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was always told to have a good sense of humor.Lots of the stuff that happens we need to just let roll off our backs and be able to laugh.

Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am in Block right now and have recently made an interesting observation. The teacher I am currently working with gave a student a warning for misbehaving. He got very embarassed and upset. He put his head on his desk and did not do any of the work he had to work on. The teacher automatically made him "move his clothespin" when she noticed this. She did not bother to ask him why he was not doing anything. He did what she asked but did not change his actions. He sat there with a pout on his face. I went over to him to find out why he was not doing any work. He simply needed help with work. As soon as I showed compassion and let him know I was there to help he instantly got in a better mood and began behaving like he should. It reminded me, not that we should let students walk all over us, but maybe there is an underlying reason that a child is acting up instead of just because he/she wants to. Find out why a child is misbehaving. When you do ask them, don't yell, talk to them.

in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My advice for all education majors is to be flexible. It's important to have lesson plans with some structure, but they are only guides, not strict rules which must be followed at all cost.

Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Danny, this is an excellent topic. I'm really glad you discussed this. I love you

I'm a professional

Tue May 02, 2006 9:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]