View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Still Separate/Unequal 

Should the US have a NationWide Equal Access to all Preschool Program?
Yes, it would send students to Kindergarten more prepared and put all on an equal footing. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, but how would it be funded and who would run them? 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 1

Still Separate/Unequal 
All-star
All-star

Kozol still makes a very shocking and depressing point in this revisit of Savage Inequalities. At first I kept asking myself where the government leaders are..who is voting? What are they voting for? Are the leaders corrupt? What race are the leaders in these cities? As I read on, I was almost momentarily proturbed. He talks about innercity kids being denied valuable pre-K programs. As I see it, it is working class that are denied that. Low income has the federally funded (and well in our district) Headstart program and the More at Four, etc. etc. etc. The poorer you are the more of a guarantee that your child has a spot. My son didn't attend a Montessori PREK. I paid for him to go to First Baptist Daycare so that I could work and I struggled each month until I could finally get him in school. If I hadn't worked at all, he could have gone for free. Why are the inner city kids not able to go to Headstart? If it's federally funded, I'm assuming that it is national not just in NC. Back to the question at hand, I agree with Kozol that the high stakes testing is definately biased against minorities and anyone of less educable opportunities or abilities. What is the answer? On a personal note, that salute at PS65 in NYC sounded almost Nazi in form; and the line leader rubric was over the top!

Sat May 27, 2006 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]