View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Thankful 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I began reading the text Savage Inequalities before our class began to try to get a head start. Some of the other West Marion girls had done the same. We were talking about how sad the situations were in the book. One of them said that the book made them want to quit and move there to teach. Then I said, "No, it makes me thankful for being at West Marion." You know, no matter how bad I think things get in my classroom or even my school, and they can get pretty discouraging, my problems are nothing compared to what these students and teachers live through everyday.

I also could not help but recognize that in 1989 the children he was talking to (about the grandmother being shot and the sister being raped) were around my age. In 1989 I would have been 8 or 9 (depending upon the month) and these children were about that age. What was my life like in 1989, nothing compared to what these children had already seen, heard and lived. I wonder where they are today? Did they make it or did they become another statistic?

Mon May 29, 2006 7:29 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Today I had to review the text because I too had read the novel prior to class starting. I feel like a hypocrite because I was greatly disturbed at the conditions of the schools in the East St. Louis area. However, I would not teach in this situation myself. I truly believe the reason the teachers like Mr. Solomon can "exist" in this environment is because he truly doesn't know any better. Yes, he does state that if he went to New Trier he could make $47, 000 dollars more. My question is why doesn't he "symbolicially" cross the bridge? Is he worried he won't be able to relate to "those" type of kids? I admire his loyalty for staying and not missing work. Is he using the excuse "the kids don't like me to be absent" as a reason for staying or is he scared of the unknown?

I am amazed that the students have any success at all. How dare "the officials" allow deprived children to function in an environment where the basic necessities are not provided. It seems to me the schools in this area of East St. Louis provide the only safe haven for some children. In turn, these children receive less due to geography...

Let's "get real" here...The reason the schools are in such deplorable shape is because these children have no advocates other than the teachers. The teachers (like ourselves) need the job (such as it is). Their parents may be unaware of the conditions and the hazards their children confront. And if these parents tried to rectify the situation, who would listen? They would be considered radicals..

I truly believe a person's working environment greatly impacts his/her teaching. I know when my ceiling leaks on rainy days, the students become disgruntled. Now imagine teaching in a facility where there was fire damage like in East St. Louis High? This principal was wanting funding for necessities such as a new heating system and windows. It just seems ironic the attitude of the teachers reflects their surroundings. As Christopher says, "It does not take long for little kids to learn they are not wanted."

Yes, I do wish I could do something... anything... However, I realize
it's going to take more than me wishing. Perhaps these students will become the voices for the current students now...

Mon May 29, 2006 8:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]