View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 AYP 

Post AYP
One quote that caught my attention in The Big Test is talking about the ranking national testing creates, "it brings to light disparities in the scores of different types of people; low scores can look like an accusation of inherent inferiority and produce intense resentment." I think that if anything, we rely on this disparity today because AYP is based on minority groups in our schools. We pinpoint these "different types of people" and look at their growth, or lack there of, in relation to the rest of the school. The resentment comes from the educators because we are the ones held accountable for making sure they meet their growth, and when they don't, we pay for it. I also think it is interesting Brigham was cautious of the idea of a national testing agency because it would become more interested in pushing tests to make a profit than in researching its effectiveness. ETS today is behind all of the major tests we take, and how benficial is the information to us? Look at the GRE...our minimal score to get in was so low that we didn't even have to try on it. It's all a money scheme.

Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]