View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 testing 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I hadn't ever really stopped to think about how the SAT was created. It was kind of interesting to read about this topic. I also found it interesting how this test once again caused a type of segregation. Not many black people took the test and if they did, they usually scored lower than white people. THe also broke students into classes. I found it very odd that at this time only the academic elite were allowed to go to college. The expansion of education was not a big issue then. At this time, Progressivism was being played with while trying to get away from traditional education.
I thought it interesting as well that Kaplan, even back then, was prepping students for the test and giving parties afterwards.

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:27 pm

I was thinking along the same lines as you were Tracie. I didn't even think about that kind of test being a segregration tool, but it makes sence now that I think about it. But arn't we even now dicriminating against a certain type of person who don't take tests well. I mean EVERYTHING is relying on this one test for stundets that want to get into a good college. I had a very low test score and I know that I would not even be able to compete with freshman in college now. At ASU the applicants applying for the Fall freshman class have an average score of 1100. There is not WAY I would be able to get into college with the scores I had. I was even on probation for my first semester because I had such a low score. Now that I'm near graduation I have a GPA high enough to graduate with honors. There is a lot of potenital that the SAT does not look at.

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]