View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Moby-Dick and The Sound and the Fury 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I just loved the part in The Big Test where the story talks about Henry Murray (page 88) and his lifechanging experience with Moby-Dick. For those seeking a recap, "On an Atlantic crossing in the 1920s he read Moby-Dick, which struck him with thunderbolt force. On the spot he decide to drop medicine and become a psychologist." I was just wondering if any of you had ever had a similar experience with a text before. This is a little un-educational (however for clarification I am about to make a very insightful personal connection to the text), however while I was in high school I read William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury and had a similar experience. I absolutely loved the way Faulkner put his novel together- flashbacks, stream of consiousness, multiple perspectives. This one novel sparked a pursuit that lead me to take every English/AP course available so that I could learn more and more. As an undergrad I entered college determined to emerge on the other end as a High School English teacher. Somewhere along the way though- I was converted to the world of the little people (Elementary Education) however i still received my full major in Literature and still wrote my Senior Thesis for UNCA on Faulkner's Sound and Fury. I love the book! It is amazing! As an interesting side note- after college graduation my college roomate and I took a road trip to Oxford, Mississippi- the home of William Faulkner (his house actually sits on land owned by Ole Miss Univerisity now). While there we not only visited his home, Rowan Oak, but also located the historical home written about in The Sound and the Fury. It's a great read for all of you who haven't read it. I'll warn you though- it is an acquired taste. I'm not expecting any responses to this post- however if you have a book you would like to share about I would love to hear! I love books! I honestly have NEVER made it past the opening lines of Moby-Dick ("Call me Ishmael!" imagine the irony in that!) so I suppose we'll never know what Murray really saw in the book- asides from something psychological!

Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I just thought you might enjoy knowing that two of my favorite novels are "Sound and the Fury", and "Moby Dick." I have to say that of the two, MD has always had pride of place. So, as a lover of Sound and Fury, I have no doubt you would also love Moby Dick.

To get past that first page, remember that Ishmael is going to give you an account of a great adventure at sea; but even more exciting, he meets future shipmates on land first who give Ishmael a view of the wide, wide world before even setting sail from his home shores!

This land-bound encounter provided me, at least, with memorable cause for both awe and laughter.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am sooo glad to hear we have a Faulkner fan! He was the reason I went into literature! One summer I would love to go to the Faulkner Festival ( The Yoknapatawpha County Conference- yes that is spelled correctly for all of you non-Faulkner folks) in Oxford Mississippi. Professionals and fans from all over the nation gather at Rowan Oak for a weekend of discussion, fun and local tours. I haven't been brave enough to test those waters yet! I am quite a dedicated fan though. My cat's name is Caddy- she's my favorite character in The Sound and Fury. I tell you- I am definitely a bookworm!

You've given me hope for Moby-Dick. I have a copy- maybe I'll pick it back up sometime soon. Right now I seem to have quite a collection of other readings going on. Off to... Nickle and Dimed!

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]