View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Modern Day Hope Unseen 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was watching Good Morning America this morning and they were talking about a senior at Harry Truman High near Philladelphia. He was the class student body president and gangs had threatened his life if he came to graduation. The police department and the school board decided it would be best and safer for everyone if he did not attend graduation, so they told him he could not come. He was suppose to speak because he was the president and now he cannot attend at all. I thought that was very relevant to what we were reading! It's aweful that this type of thing actually happens and I know the basis of this book was not very long ago either. What a terrible tragedy for this boy.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:27 pm
All-star
All-star

I saw this, too. Hmmm...another Cedric, perhaps?!

Just thinking, because of all of the "press," I wonder if this guy will receive offers or perks from colleges or companies. (You know, like "Extreme Home Makeover" - you have a bad story, they come in to save the day, sort of thing.) I am not being critical by saying that. It just typically seems to happen in situations like these. WIth that being said, I too, think it is a sad situation. Like Tracie said, everyone should be proud of him, not trying to kill him! :x

Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:38 pm

He'll at least get a book deal out of it! Education is just not valued by everyone. Unfortunately.

Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]