View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Access Empowers 
All-star
All-star

I reflect back on my teaching over the last few (hundred) years and I wonder how much of what I have said has been over their heads and the sound of a dull, annoying drum (like the teacher in the Charlie Brown cartoons - whan ne whan whan whan). On pages 190 through 193 in the Hope Unseen, Cedric feels like a foreigner when he faces his professors. All the pictures and schema that everyone has in the class have developed from their access. Access empowers us to understand and in the case of some of the other students in Cedric's class, to have to work at being the best with much less furvor than Cedric would have to in order to just survive. Have I given access to ALL my students? Have I helped build schema for those who have no point of reference with which to begin? Does my white middle class thinking cause me to leave some in the dust?

Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Thank you for being WILLING to ask these questions! They are some of the questions that, I think, can help each of us to overcome our own barriers as teachers.

For example, when I assume I actually am not providing access to all my students, that I have inherent shortcomings, then I can be more alert to the subtle cues my students give me that I may be failing them and restricting their access to the resources they need.

Does that make sense?

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

It does make sense. It's like in AA - the first step is admitting you have a problem. ( I have never been to a meeting but am quoting an Uncle who was a group leader in it). I have learned so many of these "aha" moments in graduate school. Now the trick is blending them into my teaching style and attitude toward my students, and not returning to the status quo.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:53 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Does access for all mean the same for all? We heard in another class that fair does not mean that everyone gets the same. It means that everyone gets what they need. Maybe some kids need more access to me, my time and attention, no matter what race. Is that "fair" to the others? Some would say no. I believe that there should be equal access to opportunities and resources, but if we use terms like Ishmael, sometimes we can be takers and other times leavers. Take only what you need and leave the rest for others.

Last edited by amy price on Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:57 pm
All-star
All-star

I am in the boat with you guys learning so many things and implementing them in my classroom. You know, I'm not quite sure how these new changes are viewed by my admin. I guess we will find out come summative time. I have used many new terms to describe my teaching under the "next year's focus" on the summative sheet. We'll see what she has to say! :?

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]