View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Giving Thanks to Nickel and Dimed 

I always new that there were underpaid people in our society, but I guess I never really wanted to realize how they encompass our everyday lives. I am freaking out about having to live on teacher pay on my own, let alone with a family! The question I have is how do the people that are stuck in the six or seven dollar an hour jobs get out? Do they even want to get out? Barbra Ehreneich did mention that some of her coworkers really can't get out of the job they are in because they depend on friends and relatives to transport them to work. I am a fix-it kind of person and I wish there was a good program or something to help those that want to get out of min wage to get out.

The biggest difference I see is education. There are so many kids today that think that they can make in on their own if they drop out of school at 16. But education is the key. Pretty soon you arn't even going to be able to get a job at Mc Donalds with out an accociates or high level ed.

Congrats to Barbra Ehrenreich for even taking on this assignment. And I'll be praying for those that live this book in their daily lives.

Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:07 pm

I agree. Education is the key to getting out of a rut. But for many different reasons, some people cannot go to college. Even if someone does foot the bill for you like a scholarship, you have to support yourself, and in the case of some people, they have to support families. So I don't know what the reason is. I think some areas are better than others. I have heard of people starting landscape and housecleaning businesses around here, and doing very well at it. But I know it's hard to move.

Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:34 pm
All-star
All-star

Education does make a big difference, but so does luck! I have gotten all 3 of my teaching jobs by being in the right place at the right time and by knowing the right people. It is kind of sad that I was not hired because someone had confidence in me that I could do a good job. That came later, after I proved myself.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:07 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that education is the key. I did not want to go to college but my Dad made sure that all five of his children were given the opportunity that he didn't have. I worked in the summers at a factory in Morganton and made $1.80 an hour to fold and pack shirts. The most I made over those two summers was $2.20 an hour. After this job experience, I started thinking that maybe I should get an education. It was a real eye opening experience for me. I admire factory workers that work hard and long hours just like my Dad did to take care of his five children. He also worked a second job to help ends meet.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:21 pm

In response to the only way of getting out of this rut is and education, I know someone who works at McDowell TEch. as the custodian. He has a 4year degreee from WCU or is UNC-G? Anyway, he likes his job, even though it doesn't pay well. One of the benefits I can see from this is that he does at least have the state insurance.

I know I guy who also has a degree from Lees McRAe. He works at a green house for a living and he is not the owner. So.......

My point is that an education doesn't always get you out of a "rut" so to speak.

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]