View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The end is death 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Ishmael seemed to feel very strongly about the acceptance of death as a way of controlling population. I wonder if that was the author's purpose for ending the gorilla's life at the end? To control the population of gorillas. I think something should be done about the ending. Elaine

Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:12 pm
All-star
All-star

So what happens now? Does Ishmael's student make a difference? Are we really the student? Is that why the gender or name of the student is never given? Is this why this person kept asking questions for clarification because Daniel Quinn knew that the reader would be asking those questions? I have so many questions about this book. :|

Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:48 pm

I'm glad the learner is asking so many questions in this book because I'm like Amy, I have so many questions. I know there are other books in this series but I don't know if they are set before this book or after. If after then Ishmael didn't really die because he would go on to teach others. I'm confussed about the death of Ishmael as well and his unwillingness to live surprised me. How can this amazing animal decide to not live, because I believe it was his decision (he did go to the carnival and freeze there even though he was offered a place to stay by the learner). Also, why didn't anyone at the carnival take notice that this gorrilla was hauling around books, maps and at least one notebook? Even if they couldn't hear him that would make me a little suspicious. :roll: I would like to know more about Daniel Quinn's ideas about this book.

Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]