View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Tolerance and Respect 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Education breeds tolerance and respect and Ignorance breeds the opposite. I understand there are controversal issues on many subjects. While I may respect another's view, I don't have to compromise my own. The only reason I can think of for defending my belief is for it to be attacked. I don't agree with a lot of Ishmael's theology but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy reading it. I found it entertaining and informative. It's another reason to express to my teen students in Sunday School the importance of studying the Bible and knowing what and why they believe what they do. I share these concepts with them and explain how and why they don't agree with our own. Forwarned is forarmed.

Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have thought a lot about what we talked about last night. In regard to Cain and Abel, was it so much about the sacrifice or what one is willing to give? Was it their best? I do agree that God is in control and is omnipotent. God is gracious, not willing that any of us should perish. He gave Cain a chance to redeem himself. It is all about the choices we make in life. I also agree with you that we all have different opinions and haven't been exposed to the same lifestyles and experiences. Like you said, we can respect the opinions of others without jeopardizing our own beliefs. Living in a democracy makes this possible. If we love others as ourselves then we are our brother's keeper.

Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:59 pm
All-star
All-star

We must keep in mind that we are trying to compare a piece of fictional information to a piece of factual information. I, too, enjoyed Ishmael, but used it to compare with the beliefs that I have.

God is omnipotent. He sees and knows all. He has a plan for everything. It is silly for me to try to guess or predict why some things happen one way or another. He knows and I have to trust that it is all according to his plan. Cain and Abel were a part of that plan, just as tragedies are today.

I can be tolerant without jepordizing or compromising my beliefs.

Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:43 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yes, Kathy! I agree with you. That is where I fail a lot, many times I don't want to get involved or I pretend that it doesn't affect me, it's not my problem. Just a prayer maybe all that's required so I haven't any excuse for failing my obligations. Hopefully I will improve. Hugs

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Amy, you are right on the money when it comes to relating to this work of fiction. It really is just another man's opinion about life and how it should be lived. It's thought provoking but...

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]