View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Tata USA still Poisonwood 

Should the USA intervene in the political, military, etc. decisions in other countries?
No 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Yes 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 4

Tata USA still Poisonwood 
All-star
All-star

I saw on CNN this morning that the Somalian's had kicked out two USA backed leaders to take back over their own country. They had signs that read - USA open your eyes and ears. Reading the Poisonwood Bible has opened my eyes to how much the USA tries to control everyone. I always thought our interventions in other countries was to help the spread of democracy. Now I understand there are so many more (less dignified) reasons - such as money and controlling wars, etc. It makes me realize why so many Middle Eastern and 3rd World countries dislike (even hate) us. It gives you a whole new view of 1) the news and 2) politics. Even though I was sad about the way this book ended, I couldn't put it down.

Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:19 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

As I sat there staring at my own poll; I realized I didn't know the answer. I vote yes when there are atrocities going on and people need rescuing; I vote no when we are in it just for the money (like diamonds from the Congo). Nothing is really ever black and white...........

Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:22 am
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Could we answer - under certain circumstances? Sometimes some one needs to speak up for the ones that cannot speak for themselves. Other times we need to mind our own business. From this book I can see that oftentimes when the USA does take action, it is for our own personal gain.

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:34 pm

What a tough question! I agree with you both, Stella and Amy. I don't think there is a cut and dry answer to this one. It all depends on the individual situation. :roll:

Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]