View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 parallel to Poisonwood 
All-star
All-star

Have any of you ever seen "I'd Climb the Highest Mountain?" It is a 1951 movie starring Susan Hayward in which she and her preacher husband move to the mountains of Georgia to minister. She has to work her fingers to the bone and some of the parallel's to events in Poisonwood Bible are interesting. One example, is when they lose their infant son and bury him there in the red dirt; then their minister's conference charge moves them to another church and they have to leave the body behind. It is an excellent movie with a lot of the same kinds of trials as in the Poisonwood Bible - the biggest difference however is that the husband/minister in the movie is actually loving and kind and they leave together; not apart.

Another question - do you think Kingsolver named the character of Orleanna after the poisonous flower "orleander"? Her character though is poisoned by deeds of others- not so much that she was the poison. I wonder if Kingsolver thought of this flower or watched the "climb the mountain" movie for any of her ideas?

Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Thanks for the info about the movie. This is one I will definitely want to watch!

As for Kingsolver - I don't know. She does live in the moutains of Georgia part of each year...

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:21 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yes, Stella I can see the author deliberarely selecting a symbolic name. Not only was her marriage and family in jeopardy, her faith
was not her rock any longer. On page 278 Rachel states "Even our mother, who is not on the best terms with Jesus just now..." Her husband has poisoned her with his tyrannical threats and she does not have any companionship. Even her children have some comfort in the characters such as Anatole and Nelson. When she turns to the Bible to seek solace, she sees passages such as "unto the woman God said:I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception, in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee." When she took to her bed for a month, was it a true sickness or was it depression? From what I've read thus far, it seems she is poisoned from all angles- the jungle, river, her past and a wrathful God.

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]