View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Other People's Children and My Confession 
All-star
All-star

An eye opening excerpt from Other People's Children caused me to really face the facts that I don't deal well with my miniority students in my classroom. I TRY, but I know that I am not doing my best to meet their individual needs for 2 reasons: 1) I guess I truly don't understand their "culture," and 2) it is so difficult to meet the needs of every student to the point that you dedicate and equal amount of time to each student and their needs. When I do dedicate extra time to those students who need it, I feel as though I am neglecting the other children. That has been an issue in my class, especially with my ESL kids. HOW, HOW, HOW do you accomodate all? I'm not superwoman and I don't have the time to dedicate my entire life to the injustices of "other people's children" when I have my own to think about. I am not saying that in a bad way, it's just that to try to "fix" the world and its injustices would take all of the time in a person's life and I'm just not willing to give it when I have my own family and child to think about. PERPLEXING!!! :?

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:09 am
All-star
All-star

On the subject of "cultural capital," I know for my own child, I want him to have every experience possible that will help him to have previously developed schema before he enters school. I want him to be able to read, write, and complete simple mathematical problems before he enters kindergarten. Who wouldn't want that for their child. I want him to be ahead of the game. And when the teacher talks about the beach, or camping, or swimming, etc., I want him to have that prior knowledge. I think it is soooooo sad that there are many children, even as 4th graders, that lack just BASIC cultural capital that most of us take for granted. I do not want my son to be that way.

My husband and I have had this arguement many times until recently he came to an understanding. My hubby hates the beach, but he has realized that he must "get over it" so that Kaden has these experiences to draw from and create his own judgement of the experience.

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:15 am

Everybody feels this way from time to time. I do think that it helps to learn as much about the culture as you can. I opens your eyes to your students way of life. After my class this year, I totally understand not being able to spend an equal amount of time with each student. Mine didn't seem to be ESL or minority bases but more of my time was spent dealing with bad behavior. I know that these trials make us stronger, better educators and people. I don't have the answers but I do understand.

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:22 am

I think I feel this way a lot about many of my low-performing students, not just my minority students. It is a challenge to get to every child as much as they need. I think that is why we need more help in our classrooms. Even when there is an aid in the classroom for part of the time, they can keep the other students going, who don't need as much assistance from you, and gives you time to work more with the ones who are struggling. I do think it is a battle, though, of why do you have to make up for what these children aren't getting at home. If we didn't have to teach to the test, we may actually be allowed to feel good about teaching all of our students the way we know we should.

Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:28 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]