View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 "Happyness" 
All-star
All-star

I was watching a talk show the other morning and the hosts were interviewing an African-American man about a book that he had just written. It reminded me of some of the topics that we have read. It is called "The Pursuit of Happyness" by Chris Gardner. (Yes, I know that happyness is spelled with an "i", but that is how he put it in his title.) He called it the story of us. He was a single father, living on the street, sleeping in public bathrooms with his son. He said he used his father as a role model. His father was abusive and an alcoholic. He was a role model because his father was everything he did not want to be. One day he saw a "vision". He really did see this, but called it a vision because it was a goal that he had dreamed of. He saw a man in a very nice car with nice clothes on and so he went over and asked the man what kind of job did you have to have to get this kind of stuff. Chris was able to work his way up the ladder. They slept in the office at night, always being the "last one to leave and the first to arrive in the morning", so his co-workers thought. He got that job and now lives the life that he had wanted. He said that the most important thing was to find a job that you really love. He did make it against all odds and kept his son with him the whole time.

Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm glad he found a job he loves. He sounds a lot like Cedric. Visually really helps.

Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:02 pm
All-star
All-star

It is possible to succeed against all odds. Cedric was a great example and I just connected this man with that. It gives me hope for finishing graduate school someday as well. :wink:

Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Do you think Leah was connected in any way to her father's(Nathan) vision?

Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:10 pm
Site Admin

This is such a good point! What are the connections you would make? I see her very much as the child of Nathan in so many ways!

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Leah wanted to please her father more than anyone else. She wanted to embrace his ideals and beliefs and further his vision of spreading salvation to a culture neither at first understood. She was strong willed, opinionated and like her father she saw many situations and problems around her that she wanted to correct or improve. Like her father she wanted to help others. He went about it in such a way that he harmed those he loved and instead of saving them, he lost them. She, on the other hand, became somewhat of a political activist searching for justice for all in a culture that she grew to understand and love.

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:11 pm
Site Admin

Thanks for that explanation of how you see Leah and her father. I agree that her political activism is, in a sense, an outgrowth of her admiration of, then frustration with, her father. She is such an interesting character!

Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]