View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Congo Homes 
All-star
All-star

On page 183 of Poisonwood, Leah describes the houses in the Congo and says the magnificent houses are for the whites and the falling-down houses are for negroes. She quotes her dad saying Americans would never stand for that. Then she goes on to give details about the differences. It is ironic that we have the same differences in America, not always in black /white situations but in Socio Economic Issues. I guess we'll stand for it after all.

Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:58 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

good point. I thought the same thing-that even in our plentiful America, we have situations as bad as in the Congo. People are the same everywhere.
I thought it was awefully interesting that she couldn't eat the cookie though she really wanted to. Leah was so used to eating the food from the Congo I guess and that's why she couldn't eat the cookie. And then later one of the girls really liked rabbit stew and said that Rachel even likes it.

Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:02 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You really bring up a great point Stella. Think about the book Savage Inequalities that we first read. I can't believe as a nation we allow our children to to be educated is such impoverished conditions. Why do we stand for this? This is America, not the Congo. For some odd reason, the one image I have retained so vividly from that piece is the school which is an old skating rink. How can children be expected to learn when their environment is dangerous and the basic necessities such as books are not provided? How do the teachers manage?

We do allow violence, poor learning atmospheres, and segregration to still occur in 2006. It's just named the "School Choice Plan." If Nathan Price were a real person, I would tell him he is swallowing a bunch of propaganda from the media and the politicians. America does stand for this and a whole lot more. Not all children escape like Cedric Jennings!!

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]