View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Poverty 
All-star
All-star

Last year, I read The Framework of Poverty by Ruby Paine. In it she told about an African American Woman who had received a bonus of some kind from work (about $400). The woman was conflicted about what to do.......she wanted to save it for hard times, catch up on bills, or buy some extra groceries; but she knew her friends would be expecting some. That was just what was done in their community. She finally did give a lot of it away. She knew she might be on the receiving end one day and didn't want to be perceived as selfish. On page 281 in Poisonwood, Anatole describes how people from the village share like that. A man getting a boat full of fish would call for all to come and get some. Anatole was describing why people in other countries expect America to give to them- America is perceived as being wealthy, so it is expected that they will share. What do you all think of this?

Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:28 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

This is one of the things I love about the book, the way we are asked to consider that "sharing" looks very different in other parts of the world. The other scene that feels related to me is the one where the village votes, and Leah assumes that "majority rules" is just fine, while Anatole tries to explain that for the people of the village, it is important to achieve complete unanimity - and that getting to unanimity can be pretty complex!

We assume that when we are in the minority and get out voted - on anything - that we should just get over it.

Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I was also intrigued by the voting in the bowls. If the results are 50 votes for one thing and 49 votes for the other, will there be peace over outcome? I see this in congressional votes, where the outcomes are so close one way or the other. It really did not solve a problem or come up with a solution, but just created a different one.

Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]