View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 dniheb...tfel 
All-star
All-star

That says Left Behind in Adah's sense of writing. Did you all find that tricky to read? I really had to concentrate because I'm so used to skimming right along. I especially liked her point on page 306 when the ants came and all from the village ran. Because she drug her left side; she was slow. Her mom pulled Ruth May in the boat and left Adah standing on the shore.........hence her point "left...behind". Her sense of abandonment and bewilderment at that point is probably felt by everyone with physical handicaps at one point or another. It makes me think more carefully about my words and deeds. I have a friend who had childhood polio that teaches at our school. It is hard for me not to spin circles around her finishing grades, running errands, etc. It is tempting to say, oh just let me do that for you. But she doesn't want that, she wants to accomplish it herself. I'm sure there have been times when I have been unfeeling and have left her ....behind.

Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:43 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

yes, it is easy to leave someone behind that may not look or act like everyone else. I heard someone say that if a handicap person is in a wheelchair and a person is standing next to them, most of the time people will talk to the person who is not handicapped and not even look at the handicapped person to make conversation.

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Stella, I liked the backward writing. As a mother, could you imagine having to make a choice like Orleanna did? I kept wondering why she didn't help Adah. Orleanna did finally rescue Adah, and Adah always wondered why her mother chose to save her at the Kwenge River. She finally asked her and her mother's answer was that she was the youngest and a mother takes care of her children from the bottom up.(page 444) Adah thinks that after Ruth May died that she was needed the most. I felt sorry for Orleanna because as a mother she was faced with many difficult decisions that were made even more difficult by the oppression and cruelty of Nathan.

Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]