View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Contrast between Emmit Till and Radio 

Coming home Monday night was kinda depressing after seeing the video of Emmitt Till and what they had done to him, and feeling bad about being a Southerner. I got home and sat down and watched the movie Radio that was on. It showed another side to the South during that racially strifed time. In South Carolina, where they still want to fly the Confederate flag over the Capitol, the high school coach and later the whole town befriended a black mentally handicapped boy. The best thing about the movie was that it's a true story. And it took place beginning in the mid 60's. Radio crossed the racial barriers and everyone loved him for who he was. Great heart-warming story. If you hadn't watched it, you should. It was good to see a film that was about love, kindness, and reaching out regardless of race to help someone. Very inspiring.

Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:28 pm

I also think it is interesting that there was some resistance in that situation just as there was in the scenes we discussed in class. It seems like things never change easily, or without a battle.

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:35 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

It's like Gayle said in class the other night - the path of least resistance - like water rushes through a river. It's hard for any of us to change because that takes going against the rapids.

Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

yup, ya gotta be radical it seems to make some change!

Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:04 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I use the movie Radio to illustrate tenth grade character education words such as integrity, responsibility, honesty, and courage. Then we do writing prompts on each. Not only do the students enjoy the movie, but it demonstrates that not all Southerners are like the ones who brutally killed Emmit Till.

How many of us would have helped Radio like Harold Jones? Oh sure, we may speak to him. However, would we go out of our way to establish a real frienship? Jones gave up his head coaching position because he weighed the options and decided a person is more important than a winning football season.

About two years ago, Coach Jones and Radio were at a Crawdad's game in Hickory where they both received a key to the city. Both of them signed autographs (Radio's was a curl like in the movie) and it was a memorable night for me.

Sadly, there aren't more movies made like this. I do agree with the coach at the end of the film when he said "Radio's been the one teaching us." If only we could see beyond color like Johhny Clay eventually did.
Compassion and education are the real "keys" in our still segregated country. By the way, rent the movie Glory Road with Josh Lucas for another "feel good" moment.

Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]