View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 we are like them 

I was just thinking about our discussion in class the other night about how Dr. Turner said we are like the people of the past as far as our views and actions are today, and the connection I made with that is that we are like that in the sense of our government because we tend to push democracy on everyone with no regard of their culture or well-being. It's kind of like Nathan bacause he is pushing Christianity on the Congo with no regards to their culture. He, and us too, I feel have a very narrow minded way of thinking at times. It will be interesting to see how things in the world play out in the future and the types of things our children will be astonished or taken back by according to our views now.

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:26 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

yes, it is so important to listen. To see what the other side has to say. Nathan didn't and so he wasn't able to communicate his ideas. And Gayle asked, "at what point do we listen?" and how do we get ourselves to listen when we're always thinking we're right?I know what it feels like to try talking to someone who has their ears shut and they already know everything. It's very hard to deal with them. Really, like in Hope Unseen with Cedric it's easier to keep it in and not say anything. Why bother, but then how can change ever come about if we don't speak up! And that' is what Orleanna finally did. It certainly did cost her to keep her thoughts bottled up for so long though. Good to see she grew from that experience. It really aged her.

Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]